Hudson River overnight 10/8-9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudy

Reaction score
One last summer-like overnight on the river: that's what I was thinking when it was so balmy and humid on Monday.

It was late when I launched from the Hudson boat launch, 5:45 pm. I worked my way north along the east shore of Middle Ground Flats. By the time I reached the northern tip of the island it was dark. I was able to pick out the high tide line and pitched my tent above it.

The view north up the river was expansive. The Hudson is nearly a mile wide here. It felt like a hot July night. Two screech owls dueled nearby. The river was perfectly still and despite being a holiday, there was no traffic of any kind. I sat on a log for a long time before turning in.

Some background information: Middle Ground Flats, one of the largest islands in the Hudson River, has long been a place of contention. It is thickly settled with squatters, who have passed down their properties for generations. Most of the camps have shacks on them, a few have seasonal tents. All of them have garbage dumps. Any exploration of this island (in the off-season only; the owners dislike intruders) will make an environmentalist despair.
They packed it in; they never packed it out. It is trashed.

All that is about to change. New York State recently acquired clear title to the island and wants to open it to everyone, with trails and a camping area.

I knew a front was coming in overnight, but wasn't concerned. But at 2 am a gale blew up from the north and nearly flattened my tent. I was very exposed. Rain pelted the tent. Whipped by the wind, waves crashed as if the Hudson were the ocean. It was the kind of wind in which you hear high-pitched whistling and screeching.
Warm and dry, I enjoyed it. At some point I thought, "Those waves sound close." I unzipped the tent and looked out into an incoming wall of water. The river was two feet away.
Due to the winds, the water was pushed well above tide line.

My Eureka Spitfire tent isn't free-standing but I did manage to drag it up the shore about 20 feet. I lost a peg in the process. Finding a spare (a twig) was surprisingly difficult in the dark. Finally, tripping over gargage dumps, I found one.
It was still wild in the morning, but with a north wind an an ebb tide in my favor I made it back to Hudson OK. In record time, in fact.

Nice, there aren't too many islands that is legal to camp on in the hudson... Some other islands that are listed as day use are Esopus Island north of Poughkeepsie (no camping), some of the islands with lighthouses on them have tours.. Pollopel island with Bannerman's Castle on it is open only on tours... The only island that I've heard of so far in perusing the HWRT guide is Bronk island...

Lets hope that NY will continue to help clean up the hudson, from my camping on the trail itself, a lot of crap gets washed downstream and winds up on the campsites... Not that I expect wilderness camping but sometimes it would be nice not having to sweep away the sea glass and detritus from the camping spots..

Jay

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens with Middle Ground Flats, which minus the detritus of man is a beautiful island. The squatters will not go without a fight, but the state is now in command.
I believe I've read several accounts of people claiming Hudson River islands through squatter's rights on the upper Hudson (above Troy).

Regardless of how one feels about it, there is a precedent in the Columbia County area for clearing out river squatters. State bulldozers on small barges moved in and cleared the shanties from Stockport Flats sometime in the early 1990s. There are free state-maintained campsites there now.

Nicer, in my opinion, are the free sites - 17 of them - just north of Stockport Flats at Gay's Point. Part of the Hudson River Islands State Park, they are usually clean and often empty on weekdays and in the off-season.

I've seen people camping overnight on Esopus Island. Illegal, but not very well enforced.

Last edited:
Trudy...do people stay on the island all of the time?...they live there?...sounds a little dangerous to me, sleeping over and they don't like intruders...do they paddle off and get supplies?....sorry but this is very interesting to me...thx..

Very interesting!

There were squatters on the islands of Lake George up until around 1915. You can find books that speak of the work of John Apperson who lobbied for the islands to become State property and who worked with the state to support the eviction of the squatters.

Pat t

coldfeet said:
Trudy...do people stay on the island all of the time?...they live there?...sounds a little dangerous to me, sleeping over and they don't like intruders...do they paddle off and get supplies?....sorry but this is very interesting to me...thx..

The squatters - there are maybe 25 camps - use motorboats to get back and forth. Living on the island is a seasonal thing. Many stay all summer and others go out only on the weekends.
I believe most of the holdings started out as duck hunting camps. Today the partying camps have the upper hand.
I don't have any first-hand experience with their lack of friendliness. A kayaking friend of mine who knows the situation on Middle Ground better than I do advised me not to stop there within sight of any shack.
When I stayed on the north beach the other night the island seemed deserted.
I do know that it's a very big island, but every possible place to put in is occupied.

With their eviction pending, some seem resigned and have even taken down their 'Private Property' signs and packed up chairs and grills, notably on the south beach facing the Hudson-Athens lighthouse.
Others have said they won't go.

Last edited:
Pat T said:
Very interesting!

There were squatters on the islands of Lake George up until around 1915. You can find books that speak of the work of John Apperson who lobbied for the islands to become State property and who worked with the state to support the eviction of the squatters.

Pat t

Peter Lourie wrote a book called 'The Hudson River: An Adventure from the Mountains to the Sea.' His idea was to canoe the Hudson from Lake Tear-of-the-Clouds to Battery Park. He hired a guide to carry a canoe up to the river's source.
I enjoyed this book, full of tales of people he met along the way. One of them was an island squatter, an older man and quite a character, who was beside himself that the state was about to take his home. He lived on the island full time. This was on the upper Hudson, but I don't remember where.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like a episode of "Lost"...I wouldn't want to get seen by the squatters who are staying...I'm such a wimp...try to search for my "first and last solo"...I thought I was going to get killed by the "paper boy" :eek: