Hunting season and hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you're kidding and didn't let these guys didn't scare you away. Yes, hunting accidents happen but they aren't that common. If you take the precautions mentioned you should be fine.

If you worry about everything that could go wrong, you'll never do anything. Someone died when a log rolled over them recently, does that mean no one should ever sit on a log again? (not making light of this, it certainly was a tragic and freak incident)

Orange or pink, busier trails & far from the road, (no hunter wants to drag a deer 4+ miles, granted ATV's allow useage of logging roads but you'd be hard pressed to see anyone hiking along the Owl's Head approach or up high in the Twins & Bonds either.

DougPaul said:
No matter what the merits of any other color, the hunters are looking for orange, not "any bright color".
Doug
michaelb said:
Although wearing hunter's orange is a good idea and hunters are trained to look for it, I disagree with the suggestion that hunters orange is even remotely the brightest color you can wear.
I agree hunters are probably more "tuned into" orange, but what they are really looking for are things the color, shape and size of moose and deer, so anything else tends to stand out.

My original point re "any flourescent color" is that a lot of people don't or won't wear "HUNTER" orange or may follow the visual LNT rules, but they might own a flourescent color other than orange that they could wear this time of year, just to be more visible.

Personally I like to play accordion badly while hiking during hunting season to announce my arrival. Ironically, I've been known to throw acorns at hikers playing musical instruments in the woods while I am hunting.