I can't hike & it's killing me!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
awhile back we discussed the pain i was having in the ball of my foot /end of toes & i got some great info on what might be going on. initially i thought i just needed a diff boot, which led to my world-wide search for a pair of boots i could wear. many, many pairs of boots later and as the pain just kept getting worse i finally sucked it up and admitted i needed help. i finally went into see a podiatrist who told me that the nerves between my toes are inflamed (badly) and it's been progressing to the point that my body has formed scar tissue around them (called neuromas). i've been getting corisone shots between my toes (ouch!) and they have helped my right foot but i am having big problems with my left foot and it's so bad that right now it's hard to step on it and walk normally. i read these posts and the trail reviews every day and am currently living vicariously thru all you guys. i walk around my apt and look at all my gear just hanging there waiting for me -- i just want to cry! i'm really afraid that my final option will be surgery and that scares me because once i do that, if that doesn't work - or god forbid it makes it worse - then i have no options left. you gotta know how much i miss my hiking. just waiting for the work week to be over so you can head up to the mountains, well you know how it is! this sucks!!!!!!! i'm ready to crawl on my hands and knees if i have to.
boy, if any of you guys have had this same problem & can tell me there's light at the end of this tunnel or give me some more helpful info that would be great.
but mostly i just want all of you to know HOW LUCKY YOU ARE! i'm sure you knowit, but not being able to do something i love, well -- i sure won't ever take things like this for granted again that's for sure. So when someone asks if the trail reviews are worth the time during the summer, just remember i'm sitting here reading them so yes, they are! you guys keep writing and i'll keep reading and hopefully in the next couple weeks, before the frellin snow flies again i'll see you out on the trail!

My sympathies - Shadowcat.

I'm assuming it's Morton's Neuroma. It usually affects the nerve between the third and fourth toes, although it can occur between the second and third toes (although less frequently).

Interestingly enough, according to a sports med book, it is usually caused by too narrow footwear, although unusually large bony prominences in the joints of the midfoot can be a contributing factor.

Hang in there - it's a good sign that you are getting some relief from the cortisone shots. Did the doc recommend a special shoe insert? It's known as a metatarsal bar and it helps to spread apart the bones pinching the nerve. Of ocurse, if you have overly prominent metatarsal joints, then surgery may be your only option. The nerve is removed, and although you will be left with less sensation in affected toes, it may be preferable to the pain. I know someone who had this done (she's a runner) and she was back to running within 6 weeks of the operation. She has experienced no issues from the reduced sensation in her toes and is glad she had the surgery.

In any case, you might want to get a second opinion. Podiatrists can be good, but from my experience I have had better luck with an orthopaedic doc when it comes to foot issues - especially one who specializes in sports medicine/injuries. The one I've seen is definitely more sympathetic and has helpd me find alternatives and appropriate treatments.

Hope you can get back out on the trails soon. Foot pain in general just plain sucks!

I remember your post a while back shadowcat!!

It's a bummer I KNOW! I struggled with a nasty case of Plantar Faciaitis for almost a year several years ago!!! Nope, won't ever find me hikin in no sandals.

A cycling friend of mine had the problem and did get a handle on it with a combination of PT, INjections and custom ridgid orthotics.

Good luck, hope your on the trail soon...

I also have a friend who had surgery and it worked out very well. She had started out with a few cortisone shots but they stopped working and apparently aren't too good for you in the long run. My neuroma seems to have stopped growing and the pain is intermittent (partially depends on what boots I'm wearing) and bearable, so I'm very lucky.
I hope you're back at it sooner than you dare hope for!

A speedy recovery to you!

Shadowcat!
I haven't had the same problem (yet), but I can totally sympathize since my one toe has advanced arthritis and an operation is eminent.
There have been many times when my hiking was reduced to cyberspace also. Another way I entertained myself was to plan trips for the future. I have "wish lists" that are miles long. It isn't the same as hiking, but it makes it easier for when I can get back on the trail if my trips are all planned.

I wish you the best!

Know how you feel

I broke my leg a number of years ago playing hockey and was really bummed out by my lack of mobility. My family took me on a drive up Prospect Mountain where I could get out, hobble on my crutches, and see the Adirondacks in the distance. It was a great boost to my mental state.

So -try finding some mountain you can at least drive up and get a "summit fix" - it will help your spirits.

KZ

Shadowcat,
Bad feet are not fun but they can be dealt with.
I started with a neuroma, plantar fascitis on both feet, a bunion the size of a doorknob, a big hammertoe and I am now developing a bunion on my "good" foot and have posterior tibial tendinitis as well.
The only person who was really able to help me was a pedorthist. I gave up on podiatrists and orthopods. I did not want surgery.
I had the cortisone shots, ultrasound treatments, non-steroidal meds and my feet just kept getting worse. I am a nurse and am on my feet 8-12 hrs per day. I was in tears at the end of each day because I was in so much pain. I would walk like a snail to my car at the end of the day.
In desperation I went to see a PEDORTHIST. These individuals are well educated and specialize in all types of foot appliances to keep you upright and mobile. The custon orthotics I got from him did not compare in any way to the ones I received from the podiatrist. Each time I develop a problem he fine tunes my orthotic. It can be something that affects my knees, back, hips, whatever. He will make the right adjustment and each time the pain just goes away.
When I walked into his office I could hardly stand. I have sent many people to him and they all love him. He believes in "comfort correction" and he guarantees his work. He has very bad feet so he can definitely relate.
I hope you find someone that can help you.
I don't even want to tell you the amoun't of money I spent on shoes and hiking boots. The Limmer people in NH really helped fit me for boots with my new orthotic. I never had a better fitting and comfortable boot. In fact I would love to wear them all day, every day.
The kinds of shoes that I can wear are very limited. It was a lot of trial and error and making costly mistakes.
I wish you well and I hope that you can find someone that will really help you.
Your feet just keep changing and it's been a real evolution of problems and solutions. It seems that I would fix one thing and something worse would happen. For the most part it's under control and tolerable now.
Maddy

I was diagnosed with plantar facitis (spelling?) in both my feet 3 years ago and I can totally relate to your trail lust. I was lucky and found an awesome PT who also happened to be an avid hiker and mountain biker. He took real good care of me and gave me some great advice. If you need special boot inserts there is a company called Smart Feet that has an insert that they can mold to your feet. I think mine cost $75, but it was heck of lot cheaper than the orthotics my health insurance does not cover. Let yourself heal up and take it slow. The worst thing is the time away from the trail. What I did was started taking a bunch of classes like LNT, Wilderness First Aid, hike leadership, and other things. It helped me improve some of my skills but also kept me healing while intouch with the trail, though from a distance. You're right it does give a greater appreciation for being able to get out and hike. You'll be out there again. Don't ever lose hope of that.

you guys are great

see i knew if i posted something you guys would make me feel better. if any of you are from the albany, ny area and can recommend a dr. i really think it's time to seek at least, a second opinion about what's going on. (feel free to pm me if you aren't comfortable naming a dr. on the forum). currently the really bad pain is on the outside of my foot nearer the base of the 4th toe over to the 5th and that area. i can't wear any of my normal shoes to work, just one pair of sketchers & they aren't exactly pretty! it feels like someone is pulling the nerve out and letting it snap back like a rubber band -- that's sounds awful doesn't it? but man that really describes it. everything i've read about neuromas is they are usually bet other toes, not 4-5th so what the heck is this???
BeninVA: i have those smartfeet inserts and they do work well, also bought a pr (jell material) that is for nortons toe and also help. but now the pain is so acute nothing helps.
littlebear: are you a dr? or nurse? you always have great info! let me tell you, the way i feel right now i don't care if they yank every stinking nerve out of my foot and i feel nothing!
Kzclimber: i am heading up to elk lake lodge this weekend for 2 nights. of course i am disappointed i most likely will not be able to hike, i was hoping to at least do sunrise mountain. but i'll bring my bikes with (riding doesn't hurt) and if it's hot enough i can swim or canoe on the lake. i know just getting away will help and i can be in the environment i LOVE SO MUCH!!!
Right now I'm just telling myself the trails have probably been really wet, muddy and buggy with all this rain so i'm not missing too much. and i'll just keep thinking that way for a bit.
thanx tho and i'm calling my gp today for info on a pedorthist so like i said if you have any recommendations around here, let me know!
i love you guys :D

Shadow cat - I'm not a nurse or a doc, but a mom who had two very active athletes for children and close friends who are docs, nurses, and athletic trainers/physical therapists. I've learned a lot about sports med throughout the years, as I felt I needed to know when an injury was one we could treat safely at home or one that needed a doc's attention. Since my kids have experienced several injuries that required rehab, I also learned a lot about the best way to rehab injuries (mostly from athletic trainers/physical therapists).

My daughter went on to study sports med in school, and is now going for her paramedic certification. Our house is full of anatomy, medical and sports med books, etc.

When I started to hike, it only made sense to continue collecting information on the kinds of injuries I might encounter. Even more so when I experienced iliotibial band friction syndrome and my husband suffers from plantar fasciitis, arthritis, and meniscus injuries.

Shadowcat,
What a bummer! I hope you're able to get out on the trails again soon!

I had a Morton's Neuroma 2 winters ago from doing too much xc skiing in too-small boots. I just kept pushing through the pain as I figured it was nothing, but after we did our XC marathon 50km in March and I couldn't walk when I finished, well, then I knew something was up.

Went to a podiatrist, and although the ball of my foot was swollen and the nerve between the 3rd and 4th toe pretty bad, I guess I was lucky, as taking anti-inflamatory drugs for a month and getting special shoe inserts with a pad under that area to prop it up so it didn't get too much pressure, along with getting new XC boots and giving up most of my higher-heel shoes helped. I never had to go in for cortisone shots or surgery.

When it comes to hiking, I've now switched from stiff boots to Merrell Chameleon Ventilator Low, which has a wider foot box, use SuperFeet with a pad on them under my 3rd/4th toes and it has helped immensely. 99% of the time my feet feel fine, and well the other 1% of the time it's just an ache and I'm just psyched that that's all it is.

I hope that you have similar luck and the pain goes away.
Good luck!
-Danielle

Can't tell you anything about your specific foot problem but can tell you that I had good luck in treatment of a different problem with my right foot. After an initial immobilization of about 4 weeks, the problem, which is permanent, is managed by use of orthodics and good shoes ... hiking boots are best. I have a good podiatrist but wouldn't have hesitated for a minute to either change doctors or get a second opinion if he hadn't understood my interests and adapted a protocol to meet them.

Good shoes in my case means a steel shank. It also means replacing shoes sooner, like my running shoes which are apt to break down and provide less of the protection I need.

One other strategy, self prescribed, is that I don't exclusively hike. I find that paddling helps distribute the wear and tear on my body. That way, when I'm an old man I will still be hiking and paddling or ... in pain at both extremes of my body.

Shadow
I have Mortons in both feet and have been dealing with it for about 3 months. The pain flares up after a mile, the toes go numb and burn. What helps me is Advil before I start and then I stop for 15 minutes and massage the bottoms of my feet ,I can continue for another mile and repeat the process until I reach my destination. Yes, it is a pain in the @ss , but at least I'm not sitting at home. I had to take a few weeks off after the first episode, (my brother thought I was just out of shape!) but have hiked at least every other week since. Just find out how far you can go, take it slow and maybe you can at least get back out for a few hours. I know just being out there helps me to recover. Good Luck. BTW I am going to a Podiatrist on Thursday to see what other options are available.

Good Luck ShadowCat - I do remember your thread from a month or two back.

It's been more than 5 months since I've been able to be on the trail, so I can definitely sympathize. VFT definitely helps the edge off of hiking withdrawal symptoms.

I'm hoping to be trail worthy by September.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. I rarely post here, but also enjoy the reading as life often prevents me from getting out on the trail as much as you guys.

In reading your post, I couldnt help but think you really ought to try out acupuncture. I realize that many people who suggest you try something like this are often fanatics and suggest it for everything. However, my mom got me to try it about 10 years ago for my allergies. I had horrible allergies. I took prescription meds, over the counter meds, was on shots since I was a kid and nothing worked. I carried a box of tissues in my car and a backup in the trunk and stuffed both back pockets of my pants full of tissues. Instead of getting better, it just seemed to get worse as I got older.

I went to a place my mom recommended - an aunt had taken her there for some shoulder trouble she had been having. She went once and the pain was gone and mobility came back. She became an acupuncture believer real fast. I was pretty skeptical (and broke) at the time and it took a while (and her insistence that she would pay) before I finally ran out of excuses and let her take me in. I think it cost 45 bucks. In the appointment, the doctor who ran the place told me it would take 3 visits to get rid of my allergies. I didnt really pay much attention and was just thinking I cant believe this guy is going to stick needles in me. It turned out the needles dont hurt - you hardly feel them at all. It also turned out that my allergies got worse after that first visit. I so didnt want to go back the next Saturday but my mom showed up at my place and said lets go. The second week I noticed a real improvement. After the third week, I felt normal. I sneezed once or twice. I blew my nose on occasion, but that was it. A month later and I was pretty much symptom free and had only gone those 3 times. I have never been back and have for all intents and purposes no more allergies.

Its anecdotal evidence, but if you are running out of options and you feel at wits end, I would really suggest trying this out. At worst, you are out 50-75 dollars (and I think insurance companies or at least some now cover this stuff).

Good luck and I hope you are back on the trail soon.

I feel your pain... I CAN hike but can't get the free time to go. Which is worse? Good luck on your healing! :)

which is worse?

having the time and not being able to go. i mean, the pain is so bad right now that walking down steps hurts. !@#$%^&!!!!
i would much rather be able to go and not have the time. in the past, when time was in issue; (don't tell anyone....) but i'd call in "sick" :D
Where is our summer going??????
I want to freekin hike!
Someone put me out of my misery......:(

Sorry - I guess I do have more options... Cheer up - winter's coming! I hope you heal up so that you don't go insane!!!

what's in a name?

I've been hiking with this for about 4 years now. Geez, I used to think I just had sore feet. But now that I know I have Morton's Neuroma I just may become afraid to go hiking...NOT. Strange how attaching a scary name to an infliction makes it sound worse. Not to minimize your problem at all Shadowcat...I feel your pain, at least occasionally. Come to think of it, I do think it only happens when I'm wearing those narrow boots.