I need a new tent tomorrow for under $200

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
As I'm packing to head to Arizona for a week of school and camping I notice that my singlewall tent has more small holes than I care to try and patch with duct tape. It's going in the trash; and I'm not taking the 9 pound four-season tent for just me. I need a new tent, fast!

The tent shopping here is pretty limited, so I'll probably hit up REI in Phoenix.

I'm looking at the Mountain Hardware Meridian 2. Seems pretty light, but the interior space is smaller than the rest and the single pole seems a little "gimmicky".

Or the Mountian Hardware Light Wedge 2. This one looks nice, but it's a little heavy.

Or the REI half dome. This one seems to get lots of good reviews, but is also a little heavier than I'd like.

Any thoughts on these tents would be greatly appreciated.

Check out this Kelty 2 person 3-season tent at REI, it's a bit lighter than the Half Dome and even cheaper, still freestanding.

I had an old Kelty Windfoil ultralite awhile ago, it was my first decent 2 person tent that I used for a bit... Kelty makes a good product for the pricepoint.... The one drawback I see is 1 door and 1 vestibule, unlike the Half Dome...

Jay

Just to offer a different perspective, check this out...

phoenix weather forecast

Doesn't look like those holes will be a major problem.

Maybe you could use your current well-ventilated ;) tent next week, and then after your trip you can take your time to look for a good deal on a tent you really like. Rather than rushing into it.

Well, I'm actually going to Prescott and then the Grand Canyon. Prescott has a little different forcast! :)

Figures, when I went in Feb I espect it to be warm and it snowed the first day. Now I was expecting it to be dry and it's going to rain... :rolleyes:

If it is going to be just you the Mountain Hardware seems big enough. If you are going with someone, I would consider one of the bigger ones. Here is one more to consider, also on the smaller and lighter side.
http://www.rei.com/product/737060

Toe Cozy just got the SL version of this tent and though she hasn't used it outside yet, she loves its quick set-up and she has me considering buying the 3 person version.

Could you borrow a tent for the trip and buy one after more consideration later?

sli74

Jay H said:
Check out this Kelty 2 person 3-season tent at REI, it's a bit lighter than the Half Dome and even cheaper, still freestanding.
Jay
I have the Kelty Teton as one of my warm weather tents. Kelty does not have the best rep in the industry for tents, but my experience with this tent has been great. Cheap, room for two (tight), plenty of room for 1 and gear, self supporting, etc.
You can usually find them for $100.

I'd definately get the Kelty Teton before the REI Half Dome, the Kelty is cheaper and lighter.

Last edited:
Definitely inexpensive, fits SB's criteria anyway. One of the reasons I bought the Windfoil way back when. I think it was good, back then it was about 4lbs 10ozs which I think was fairly light for a 2 person hoop design back in the mid 90s...

I think SB could use her single wall with holes and perhaps bring duct tape if it starts to rain!

Jay

Have you looked at REI's Quarter Dome tent yet? I bought a Half Dome several years ago, and like it very much. Mostly now I use a single person tent to save weight, but REI makes a good product for the $$.

I don't see it online today, but the REI sales flyer I got yesterday in the mail listed the BA seedhouse SL2 for $219; on sale from $319. At under 3 lbs, it would be the lightest choice, gets good reviews, and could be a great choice for a solo tent.

Have you considered a hammock ? Very lightweight and super-comfortable, so long as you have a way to tie it off. I love my hammock.

I have a Half Dome 2 and I really like it. The first one I had got a little mildewy after 4 years so I returned it in exchange for a new one. (Their old rain fly wasn't so waterproof anymore, anyway.) Gotta love their lifetime satisfaction gaurantee! The new one technically isn't an "ultralight" tent (what do you expect for $170?), but it is quite packable... I keep my poles in my thermarest stuff sack with my sleeping pad, and the tent compresses down nicely as well. It is so easy to set up by clipping the tent onto the poles rather than sliding them through sleeves. I think I average 3 minutes on setup and 5 minutes (precision folding ;) ) on take-down.

Chip said:
I'd definately get the Kelty Teton before the REI Half Dome, the Kelty is cheaper and lighter.
After looking at the fancy 3D pictures on their site I see the Half Dome has the ridge vent and 2 vestibules (though they're both small, so is Kelty's), so the Half Dome may be worth the extra $. If you could get the BA Seedhouse SL2 for $220 that would be tempting also. My other warm weather tent is the BA Seedhouse 2 (not SL). These are nearly identical to the Mountain Hardwear Meridian 2. They have to be staked out well and I always feel like I'm going to break the pole contraption, but they are nice. Lots of mesh if you don't need the fly.

Alps?

How about this one.
http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/722839

It's from the REI Outlet. About the Same weight. $85.00
I have a couple Alps tents, and find them well made

1139033.jpg

Thanks for all the quick responses! I wound up going with a Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2. I found it on sale here for $200. It's one pole short of being the Trango 2! Looks like it could easliy stand up to winter trips.

It's heavier than I really wanted, but it's DELUXE inside. I took a look at the Meridian (which is essentially the same as the BA Seedhouse) but it was pretty small inside.

sleeping bear said:
Thanks for all the quick responses! I wound up going with a Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2. I found it on sale here for $200. It's one pole short of being the Trango 2! Looks like it could easliy stand up to winter trips.

It's heavier than I really wanted, but it's DELUXE inside. I took a look at the Meridian (which is essentially the same as the BA Seedhouse) but it was pretty small inside.

Hey, your tent weighs more than 6 pounds!!! That's awesome. Join the club. I love my North Face "Rock 22". I'm so relieved there's someone else out there. We should start a support group..."Hi, my name is Chuck, and my tent weighs 6lbs 11oz with fly and stakes"....(everyone) "Hi Chuck".