Ideas for introducing someone to winter camping needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasym

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have the pleasure of introducing a buddy of mine to the wonders of winter hiking/campping this weekend. Myself and two friends, one new to hiking, are planning to go up this weekend. I'd like to hear anyone's recomendations for a good hike thats lower mileage to a decent camping spot (either established or stealth) where we can set up the tents then, maybe bag a summit or two from there.
I was considering the sawyer pond campsite, with a side trip up Willey, but i'm still kickin' around other ideas.
Thanks in advance!! :D

How about Hancock notch? It's an easy walk in, camp off the Cedar Brook trail, bag the Hancocks on the next day. It would be my choice for a Winter camp without a lot of effort.

Hey, take you friend to the "Gathering" @ Barnes Field by Dolly Copp Campground this weekend.

Even if you plan to tent, it's nice to have a shelter to hang out and cook in, especially for a first-time hiker and in the winter. Temps may plummet up here over the weekend, by the way. I was going to suggest Ethan Pond campsite & shelter (and Tom, Field or Will.) and then I remembered that it's a holiday weekend coming up so that may be fairly busy. But even if you can't use the shelter, that might be a good first hike for your friend.

kasym,

I see that you only have 2 posts, so maybe you don't know about the winter gathering this weekend. This site has 2 major hiker gatherings each year for the last 7 years (the site has been online for just over 10 years). The major gatherings are in Sept. (X.0) and in the winter (X.5). So last Sept was Gathering 7.0 and this weekend is Gathering 7.5. Our numbering system is a little odd due to the fact that our "calendar" resets to 0 in September, but why mess with tradition???

Anyway, about 50 or 60 people from this site will be camping, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, eating, and possibly maybe even having a few drinks this weekend up in the Whites. Barnes Field will be our "basecamp". Check out these threads for info:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3711

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4475

What better way to introduce your friends than to hang out with a bunch of fun people. We always have a great time. People will organize hikes for all levels so I am sure you will find a group to join. Or you can head off on your own and meet up with everyone back at Barnes Field at night.

You will have fun....or your money back. (it is free)

- darren

If you head for Great Gulf,consider the Osgood Platforms also. It's just a short hike to the Bluff from there,and you can try the Osgood Trail to Madison. If you go this weekend,regardless of where,do your friends a favor and rent some crampons.
Another possibility is Three Ponds to the shelter,or go past the shelter and there are some nice spots off trail. Return by the Donkey Hill Cutoff. Keep in mind you will need 4wd to the traihead unless you go in from the Stinson Lake side.
Sawyer Pond would also be a good choice,but going in from the Kanc will be a nasty water crossing-the ice will be questionable.
Whatever your plan is,stay flexible ,as yor new hiker will probably be toasted after carrying a winter overnight pack,possible with crampons,for the first time.

> Sawyer Pond would also be a good choice,but going in from the Kanc will be a nasty water crossing-the ice will be questionable.

The stream crossing can be avoided by parking on Bear Notch Rd and following the ski trail or logging roads to Sawyer Pond Tr.

Doug

DougPaul said:
> Sawyer Pond would also be a good choice,but going in from the Kanc will be a nasty water crossing-the ice will be questionable.

The stream crossing can be avoided by parking on Bear Notch Rd and following the ski trail or logging roads to Sawyer Pond Tr.

Doug

I second that! Two winters ago in January me and some friends spent a night at the Sawyer Pond Leanto. It was a pretty good hike in with gear, there was at least a couple feet of snow on the ground, and the trail was unbroken. It was slow moving with snowshoes.

But to Dougs point, go in on Bear Notch Road. We parked on the Kanc and spent two hours going up and down the swift river looking for a crossing. We eventually found a spot that was just frozen over from bank to bank. To be safe we took off our packs, slid them across and bellied across the ice to distribute our weight better. Probably not the smartest move, but we just wanted to cross.

The WMNF guide book suggests taking your boots and socks off and wading across!!! Not in the winter!!!!!

Have fun whatever you do.

Go to the VFTT Winter Gathering at Dolly Copp and do some day hikes.
Chances are that if it's their first time camping, they're probably going to have a lot of new and untested equipment.....not a good thing if anything critical fails during the weekend or it isn't used properly.
Better to test it out and get a feel for the conditions at Dolly Copp with a lot of knowledgeable people instead of being alone on the trail the first time. The good folks at the gathering will have lots of trail tales and suggestions (trips, equipment, and safety tips) to help you along.
Then if things work out and they enjoy it, press on to bigger and better hikes. There's still plenty of winter left to be able to get another weekend or two in.
When they're ready, check out Carter Ridge with a stay at the Imp Shelter. You can bag Wildcat, the Carters, and Moriah. Great area and great views.

Thanks for all the great ideas, guys. I'll put forth the idea of the gathering to the other two, but I think they'll lean more toward either the hancock loop or sawyer pond campsite.

Isn't Bear Notch rd closed now? Where would I park to take the logging road and ski trails to the sawyer pond tr and shelter? I had thought of hiking there from 302, but leaving from bear notch road sounds like a shorter hike in with less elevation gain, and that would be better.

BTW Darren, I think we ran into you on January 2nd on the welch-dicky loop. We were the 3 guys comin down welch and passed you on the slabs going up. Someone in the group you were with said your name, and later that day I realized why you had looked farmilliar. i recognized you from your old avatar with you drinking the bottle of Dr M. Thanks for the rosetta stone regarding the gathering's naming convention, too.

:cool:

I can't recall the name of the shelter, but it's about two miles in from the end of Jericho Road, off 302 between Jackson and Bartlett. You could do Stairs Mtn. The trail to the shelter is an old railroad bed, so the hike in and out is easy.

> Isn't Bear Notch rd closed now?

The ends are plowed. There is parking near the south end on the west side. (Don't remember if there is parking on the east side.) Park near the ski trailhead (starts on a logging road on the west side). There is also a ski trail heading east.

Doug

Gathering

I wish I could make the Gathering. I have been posting for a while andlurking for longer, but havent really met anyone from here yet.

Lest you think me anti-social, I would definaely be there except that I will be at the Pats game on Sunday and need to get on the road early Sunday morning.

Maybe this summer...