In spring a young man's fancy turns to thoughts of...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
waterfalls!

Lots of rain, lots of melting snow. Now would appear to be a great time to get out and snap some waterfall shots.

That said, truth in advertising, this one's from November... of 2006... Diana's Bath's, a great place to spend an hour or three with a camera.

p551013512-4.jpg

Would love to see some more waterfall shots, recent or not. Not a contest! Just an opportunity to share!

Truth in advertising, this is from June 2009. Cloudland Falls on Falling Waters Trail.

Many tiny waterfalls here. June 2008, Abenaki Brook along Edmands Path.

Nice idea. Waterfalls are like campfires and fireplaces; I can sit and watch them for hours. I spent a few hours at Diana's Baths last April and came away with a few nice shots. I could not help but notice a strong similarity in one of my shots to yours.
4461146658_edca84dff7_b.jpg

Silver Cascade
4460367165_9efcfde0da_b.jpg

Cloudland Falls
4461146540_db776be7f0_b.jpg

Little Mossy Brook
4461146752_afa0de16cc_o.jpg

Gibbs Falls
4460367005_ba73d5f424_o.jpg

Gorge Falls
4461146914_34ce6d5a97_b.jpg

JohnL

Last edited:
Taconic's #3 photo above is pure eye candy. The current swirls in the foreground are exceptional, and make the picture.

G.

Taconic's #3 photo above is pure eye candy. The current swirls in the foreground are exceptional, and make the picture.

G.
Thanks.

That's one of those shots that almost didn't happen. I've been dealing with ehrlichiosis for over a year now, so last year was my worst year ever for climbing and shooting. I literally forced myself to cross the brook that day in the rain. That is what waited for me, and I was glad to see it.

It's without question my favorite shot since I got sick.
(I am starting to do better now. Barely. My greatest hope is to do a 4K this year and I used to eat them for breakfast. Ticks are hell. Check yourselves while you're out there. I thought I was diligent, but apparently I missed one.)

These are all great! Taconic, I agree, your third shot is outstanding.

Re losing a lens hood... mine disappeared on a Moats traverse a few winters back. I keep foolishly hoping someone will report having found one... =)

All shots are great but I agree, that #3 is spectacular! I imagine very slow shutter speed and luckily zero wind. Thanks to everyone... great stuff!

Thanks.

All shots are great but I agree, that #3 is spectacular! I imagine very slow shutter speed and luckily zero wind.
f/16, 15 sec, ISO 100 @ 12mm

It was actually pretty windy and raining hard, I just waited for a lull. I shot four or five exposures and went with the best.

And speaking of losing things, I lost a pair of sunglasses on the far side of the pool in that picture.

Taconic, what lens did you use? I have a Tokina 12-24 that I love...
The other question is what does the 12mm mean?

Is it a 35mm equiv FL? Is it on a crop body? If so, what is the crop factor? (I looked at the EXIF info on the images, but Photoshop has erased the body and lens info.)

Canon makes a highly regarded 10-22mm lens for their 1.6 crop factor bodies (35mm equiv FL 15-35mm). Several of us on this forum have one.

Doug

Thanks.

It was actually pretty windy and raining hard, I just waited for a lull. I shot four or five exposures and went with the best.

Point of clarification: Was your shutter speed 15 seconds, or 1/15 second?

Also, focal length of your lens doesn't really mean much unless we know what camera body (sensor size) was being used.

(Questions and comments like this detract not a whit from a picture that is just plain dynamite ... )

G.

Taconic, what lens did you use? I have a Tokina 12-24 that I love... Also glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. That is rough.
That is indeed exactly the lens I used. It's my favorite. I find it to be as sharp as the L I also own (and it was only a fraction of the price.)

Point of clarification: Was your shutter speed 15 seconds, or 1/15 second?
15 seconds. That's why I had to stop all the way down to f/16--otherwise f/8 or so would have been fine. I really need to get around to getting an ND for that lens. I don't need them often, but when I do...

And sorry: I meant to mention that it was a 350D in that post. So it's a 1.6x crop and ~19mm for 35.