Info on Mt. McKinnley?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yng Climber

Reaction score
I've began looking into Mt. McKinnley and have began to notice how cheap it really is. One company will take you up Mt. McKinnley for less then $2,000, the non-technical route that is. Now my question is, go up with a guide-service, or gather your own group and take that route. I might be wording this wrong, but basically what would be the most "enjoying" way to get up Mt. McKinnley, and not to forget I am still quite young, i'd probably plan on a trip like this after I graduate. I'm beggining to wonder if I'm getting to far ahead of myself now?

Last edited:
First, it would be nice to spell it right, as in Mt McKinley :)

Second, as far as the best way to "enjoy" it, that is completely up to you. How do you enjoy hiking in the White Mtns of NH? Guided, unguided, group of friends, group of strangers, doesn't matter? Obviously, there are other matters to deal with big mtns like Denali, like safety issues and elevation that are greater up there, but the enjoyment factor is up to you really. Find out what the $2k includes. I mean just the gear that you'll need would be pricey, even if you rent it all. Just the flyin is probably going to cost you plenty.

..and no, you're not getting too far ahead of you, there's nothing like keeping a goal and working to attain it. College and graduation is certainly a good one! Planning is obviously keen for things such as mountains and it's never too early to start.

Just my 2cents. :)

Jay

well - I am assuming you haven't done a rainier, hood, shasta etc... If you have only done NH - ya might want to build up to denali with some lower peaks first. Even though they say non-technical, your still going be roped up due to glaicer issues (I may be wroong here and they may be a route that you don't have to -,but don't think so) , need to know ice and crampons, etc.. yada, yada, yada - denali is probably not the place to learn. I would think people do butthats 20K+ elevation in the coldest, storminess crap a mountain can throw ta ya. I have heard people say it can be harder than a himalyan peak. never done iether so can't tell you myself.

try mt washington in january first.

good luck and you seem young enough that you got plenty of time to build up to that goal.

Whose guiding Denali for $2000 ? you ain't kidding that's cheap. I have zero interest in climbing Denali myself (I value my fingers and toes too much), but I am looking into climbing some larger Mountains as well, and have already used guides to climb in the Canadian Rockies & WA Cascades(Rainier & Baker). All guides services I am aware of charge more then $4000 for Denali summit expeditions. I would seriously compare various outfits to see what they offer for the $4000+ fee versus what this company will do for $2000. If it is a real value then jump on it. Even if you go unguided I cannot beleive Denali would be cheap. Have priced your gear (team & personal) for a 2-3 week trip in the Alaskan outback ? Have you priced the bush flight to base camp if you go unguided (else the trip becomes much longer) ? As a rule of thumb you should at least have adequate gear to camp above treeline on Mt Washington in January for 2 weeks. Most guide services require you have a taken a 1 week glacier travel course with an a reputable mountain school or have equivalenet experience and can demonstrate it to them before they agree to take you up Denali. Mt Rainier makes an excellent training climb in prep for Denali, I am told. I found Rainier pretty cold for my taste, took me 3 times to get to the Crater rim. Good Luck.

John