Info wanted on the Continental Divide Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsmores

Reaction score
My son is graduating from college on June 1 :D and we're looking at possibilities for a week-long hiking/climbing trip, most likely in Colorado. If anyone has any info on the CDT (or other possibilities) they can pass along I'd appreciate it.

The Weminuche Wilderness (SW CO, near the Sangre de Cristos) is a beautiful spot for a week away from the world. Very remote, pristine surroundings, extremely light traffic (although some spots allow mtn biking, so research accordingly beforehand). I'm actually in the midst of planning a 2 week trek there this year, although we're probably looking late July or early August. This book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560447168/002-8218334-1933666

Is serving me well thus far.....I also have another, more extensive trail guide for the CDT, which focuses 90% of its attention to the Weminuche, but believe it to be out of print. If this area seems doable for ya let me know and I'll get you some more info on that book. Also, this website offers some good info:

http://www.coloradowilderness.com/wildpages/weminuche.html

Hope this helps! It's really an amazing area - no words nor pics will do it justice.

Cdt

Have you checked out the Trailjournal web page? They have info and forums on most of the major long distance trails.

Another resource you should check is the CDT-L mailing list. Here's the archive: CDT-L archive

Here's the web page where you can join the mailing list if you so choose: CDT-L subscription

When these lists are not off on a tangent, they can be quite helpful.

Pb

Hi. The CDT in CO is all really amazing..I've done it all. If you could provide more details about your logistical constraints and other preferences I'll offer some specific help. Also, go to cdtrail.org cdsociety.org and maybe subscribe to the CDT-L listserve @ backcountry.net to get into the CDT community. C

caleb said:
...If you could provide more details about your logistical constraints and other preferences I'll offer some specific help...
Caleb-
Well, we're still in the early planning stages. We originally had thought about heading for the Tetons for the week, but think the first week of June may be a little early in the season for the Grand. We've got 7 days (Sunday through Saturday). There is a possiblility that we'll be able to spot two cars for a "through-hike", or maybe a hike in to a remote basin where we could set up camp and do climbs of several peaks from. Any 14'ers we can bag would be a bonus... We probably want to avoid RMNP - I'm thinking central or southern Colorado. We'll be starting in Colorado Springs and I'm flying out of Denver. Trailhead needs to be accessible by a low-clearance vehicle (the boy's got a Mustang Cobra - not great at off-roading).
Hope that helps.