Interesting (and accessible) winter hikes in Western and Northern Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danacus

Reaction score
I live in Bangor, and the guys I hike with and I are tired of the same old winter treks. We seem to always end up in Acadia. I like Acadia, but am looking for some good ideas in the Carrabassett Valley and Northern Maine area that are usually accessible in the winter for day hiking. Any ideas?

There's lots of hikes in the Valley. A lot of people posted trip reports recently from the hikes in the area, you might want to take a look at those. Besides the normal 4k's of Bigelow, the Crockers,Redington and Sugarloaf, there are a lot of smaller hikes too. My favorites in the winter are
1.Burnt Mt- it's on the left ridge of Sugarloaf, 360 degree views, some nice above tree line hiking near the end. About 3700 feet high.
2. Cranberry Peak and Cranberry Pond- They are near the end of the Bigelow range towards eustis/stratton. Nice views and beautiful woods.

Kibby Mountain ( the main peak, 3654' I think ) is beautiful in winter. X-C skiiable at least 90% of the way up. Flat beginning thru a Christmas tree forest. Very nice. Road should be plowed due to logging in the area. Platform with nice views on top.

If you don't have it yet, pick up a copy of the AMC Maine Mountain Guide. It will keep you busy!

king tut said:
There's lots of hikes in the Valley. A lot of people posted trip reports recently from the hikes in the area, you might want to take a look at those. Besides the normal 4k's of Bigelow, the Crockers,Redington and Sugarloaf, there are a lot of smaller hikes too. My favorites in the winter are
1.Burnt Mt- it's on the left ridge of Sugarloaf, 360 degree views, some nice above tree line hiking near the end. About 3700 feet high.
2. Cranberry Peak and Cranberry Pond- They are near the end of the Bigelow range towards eustis/stratton. Nice views and beautiful woods.

I have done some of those mountains in Summer/Fall, but are they really easy to get to in Winter? That Caribou Valley road can be difficult in Summer/Fall, I can't imagine what it's like in the winter.

What about Burnt. Mt and Cranberry? Can you get to the trail head in winter without a Hum V?

Caribou Valley Road is open for the first 3 miles (as of 2 weeks ago), so you can drive within about a mile from the AT crossing. Access to peaks like the Crockers and Sugarloaf in winter are almost the same as they are in the other seasons. :)

Danacus said:
I have done some of those mountains in Summer/Fall, but are they really easy to get to in Winter? That Caribou Valley road can be difficult in Summer/Fall, I can't imagine what it's like in the winter.

What about Burnt. Mt and Cranberry? Can you get to the trail head in winter without a Hum V?

Burnt mt is easy. The trail starts off of the x-c trails that go by the condos at Sugarloaf. The best place to park is the main lots at Sugarloaf. You could park in the condo's, but you might get towed(especially on the weekends). The x-c trail is easily found off of Burnt Mt rd, which is a condo road off of the main condo road. Basically from there, go up the x-c trail about 20 feet or so and there is a junction to the other x-c trails on the left. Straight up is a ski trail from the mt i believe. SO go left about 100 feet or so and go over the bridge and on the right is the snowshoe trail to burnt mt. It is clearly marked. You can get over to this area from the base lodge by taking the roads just below the whiffletree quad. it's a quick 5 minute walk maybe.

Cranberry pond is about 3 miles or so each way i believe, from rte 27. There is a parking lot that you can park in off 27, usually plowed in the winter. You can also go to the Crockers from here too, but if i recall correctly it is about 5 miles or so each way. Cranberry peak from 27 is probably about 10 miles rt. There is also another trailhead in the eustis/stratton area off of 27. The first right after the Mainely Yours restaurant as you come into town. Not sure if there are any plowed parking, but the trail to cranberry peak is shorter, maybe 7 miles rt. Great 360 views as well from the peak.

People have said that the caribou valley road is plowed this winter, but i would not want to bring my car in there any time of year. It is less than a year old, its my baby. So, if you have an older, high clearance vehicle, go for it. I would also think that abraham might be reachable in winter, but someone else will have to chime in on that one.

By the way, i just got back from up there, and the snow gods came thru for once. 3-4 inches of snow for two nights in a row. nice powdah up there.

king tut said:
People have said that the caribou valley road is plowed this winter, but i would not want to bring my car in there any time of year. It is less than a year old, its my baby. So, if you have an older, high clearance vehicle, go for it. I would also think that abraham might be reachable in winter, but someone else will have to chime in on that one.
Several of us drove Subaru wagons in CVR on MLK weekend to a point about a mile below the AT junction--the road was blocked just beyond our stopping point. (3-4 inches of fresh snow.) No problem. A front-wheel drive car couldn't make one of the hills.

Doug

I did Cranberry from the Stratton area two weekends ago. We were able to drive a Subaru Outback almost to the trailhead. We had about a 5 minute road walk. There is a small sign for the Bigelow Range Trail... if you pass the mill, you've gone too far.

I think mileage was 3.2 one way and a little over 2000 vertical.

Last edited: