internal verses external backpacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which kind of backpack frame do you use?

• internal

Votes: 64 83.1%
  • external

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters
This thread reminded me of the nice 25 year old Kelty external I've had on a rack in the basement for too long. I weighed it and it's 2 pounds lighter than my huge internal :eek: . Today I took it apart and machine washed the nylon (per mfg'r rec's - read the label, thanks to my wife :eek: ) reassembled it and will be using it again soon. It's a bit of a quandry, though, being a lighter pack and external, leaves me wondering how much I need a heavier internal...

Back when I was using an external frame pack (AspenLite, somewhat controversial design) my girlfriend bought a frame pack that was made out of a PCV type of material. It was quite lite, but the best part was that the frame flexed as you moved – a very comfortable pack. Like many external packs though, it made noise – this one very unique because the PVC squeaked. I'm trying to recall the name of the pack or manufacturer... I'm not so sure it wasn't called a "Flex" Pack.

I am glad that some of you have been happy with your external back frames- someone has to feed these companies that manufactuer them ;) .

Some of the difference may be do to the difference in a male v. female body build. My backpack was suppose to be designed specifically for women. I tried loading it different ways, but it never really worked for me. It rode a bit better when I put the heavy stuff (food and pots and stove) in the bottom compartment (meant for sleeping bag). But it still squeaked. In fact I have several friends who have used their internals with me on backpacking trips and the sqeak of their back was annoying- to everyone. Can't help it people- it's the way I'm made- I don't like extraneous noise in the back-country ;) . Now- if only someone can get me to shut up :D.

By the way-this external frame pack ("Nightsong" ((?)) by Eureka) had an outside pocket for a water bottle- one that I could never manage to reach when wearing the pack- no matter how I contorted my body. My next pack was an internal- no external pockets- narrow profile- great for bushwhacking-and it rode closer to my body and was much more comfortable to carry. I don't see myself wasting money on another external. Anybody want my Nightsong? Yours for the postage and shipping.

Just checked out those photos

Pete Hickey- you are a madman- and I mean that only in the best sense of the word.

I recently threw my old external frame pack into a dumpster and got pleasure out of it. Torture device. Internal packs are way more comfy and my balance is much better with them. Plus I'm tall and the external packs ride high so the center of gravity issue is a problem for me. Add on that it always grabbed every low hanging branch or tree and it all added up to me only using it for a couple of seasons many years ago. I've never even thought about going back to an external pack. But then I never carry over 50 lbs so maybe I don't see the high load bearing issues that others do.

- darren

Both....

External for heavy loads, Internal for lighter loads and winter treks.

My favorite pack in my collection though is....my "daypack".....

I've been using my Mountainsmith Bugaboo "daypack" for most trips these days, it's internal, so to speak, larger than most daypacks, lot's of suspension and "leveling" straps too.

The others usually hang on the wall!

no frame

I vastly prefer the no-frame backpack, especially for long hikes. On the Cohos trail, I used a Golite Breeze. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) they aren't made anymore. You can make your own of Ray Jardine's original design by ordering a kit from his website.

When I have to go heavy, I reach for the external frame. For me, externals are more comfortable than any internal frame pack because they keeps that oppressing weight off the shoulders. I just wish they were lighter. :)

I find internal frame packs indispensable for backcountry skiing, but I don't do that much anymore.

I think the external frame packs are better for heavy loads also. My brother has a huge Dana Designs pack that was one of the most comfortable packs I ever used. But after 4 days of hauling all that junk around i was ready to ditch it in a shed near a road we passed. He was horrified at this idea so I lugged it out, but I have never carried that much junk again. Hence I now use an internal frame pack which works very well.

Tuggy said:
I think the external frame packs are better for heavy loads also. My brother has a huge Dana Designs pack that was one of the most comfortable packs I ever used.

I also have a Dana Designs, the Longbed model. It's heavy, but meant to hold quite a bit so the ratio of packweight/totalweight is low enough. OTOH, this past weekend I grabbed it from the back of the closet and wondered what was in it. Nothing. It just weights a lot. (My new pack will weigh in at about 9.5 ounces.)

Tuggy said:
I have never carried that much junk again. Hence I now use an internal frame pack which works very well.

Heh. It's a good theory that bigger packs invite more junk.