Invention May Reduce Backpack Injuries

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trailbiscuit said:
Interesting idea, but it seems like the load would feel/be unstable.
My concern as well--balance might be a bit difficult with this thing bouncing up and down. I wonder if these inventers ever test their inventions on anything other than a sidewalk...

Doug

There's probably more to their invention than the lay press is capturing.

While it's correct that extending and relaxing a suspension system will use energy, if the system is well designed it may be a worthwhile trade off in return for a smoother ride. Shock and impact loading of the muscular and skeletal systems does increase fatigue.

A suspension system needs mobility, with a "return to center" force. This is provided by the "bungees." But a properly designed dsuspension system also has damping, which is what shock absorbers really provide. An undamped system is prone to resonance and to unecessarily large excursions.

I'm assuming that the academic folks at U of P are a lot smarter than me, and that some sort of damping is designed into this system.

(Overall, it's a fun idea, and gives us something nerdly to talk about instead of working :D (for those like me who are still stuck in the office after 13 hours :eek: :( :p ).)

TCD

What is a backpack injury? What is the mechanism of such an animal. How do you quantify the compressive and shearing forces and the manner in which they target certain tissues that fail (ie. become injured).

Then, once you have your model how do you compare the dynamic loading/unloading cycles that various backpack systems impose upon these target tissues under field conditions.

Just another enquiring nerd who wants to know...