Irene blowdown compared to 1950 hurricane

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're really serious about doing the 46, I recommend also investing in the McMartin/Ingersol guide book: Discover the Adirondack High Peaks. The ADK guidebook is great for on-trail stuff, whereas the Discover guidebook goes into more depth with bushwhacks and off trail pursuits.

I would say that both guidebooks are essential for those working to complete the 46.

(Note that the way in which the Adirondacks are broken up is a bit counter intuitive in the Discover series... the High Peaks guidebook doesn't cover all of the High Peaks. You'll need Discover the Northern Adirondacks for Whiteface and Esther, and Discover the Northeastern Adirondacks for Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge.)

Last edited:
Mr. Goodwin's book has just been purchased per your recommendation. Maybe he owes you a Clif Bar as a "commission" for your referral!

Ehhh, his years of commitment to the mountains many of us enjoy to wander around and to the tops of is enough for me!

I agree that Burnside's book is out-of-date for planning purposes. But it's a great read because not only does it show how peak-bagging really gets to you, but it shows how much easier (and more enjoyable) it is nowadays. He had to hire trail guides for many of his hikes, whereas you & I get info within minutes, hours or at most, days on difficult to navigate trails. Their gear was- well, not like Mallory & Irvine's, but certainly not what you find on steapandcheap.com, REI, Hudson Trail Outfitters, EMS, etc. Most of their hikes were 1 or 2 peaks at a time, but given the price of gas nowadays, I'm looking for 3 to 8 peaks in a day.

I agree with your opinions of Burnside's book; I still pick it up every now and again to read any given chapter. It had been a gift to me from my father when I had started my first round. As a kid, he climbed a bunch of peaks and we were able to do a few together which are some of my favorite hikes ever for that reason alone. It really made me feel more in touch with Burnside's emotions throughout the book about hiking with his family, one that I hope to pass on if I have some kids of my own someday.

If you're really serious about doing the 46, I recommend also investing in the McMartin/Ingersol guide book: Discover the Adirondack High Peaks. The ADK guidebook is great for on-trail stuff, whereas the Discover guidebook goes into more depth with bushwhacks and off trail pursuits.

I would say that both guidebooks are essential for those working to complete the 46.

Another good one for sure. Best to have a map nearby when reading McMartin's as sections of typical routes are split up and without knowing the area well, it can be confusing.

Another good one for sure. Best to have a map nearby when reading McMartin's as sections of typical routes are split up and without knowing the area well, it can be confusing.

There is a seperate map that accompanies the book that makes it easier (since the trails are numbered on the map as well as in the book, allowing for quick and easy reference between the two). The map is also printed on tyvek, making it more durable. It's not the best hiking map out there for the High Peaks, since the routes are basically hand drawn on top of the USGS topo maps (both the National Geographic and the ADK maps are superior) but it does have one advantage over other maps- it shows the majority of the hiking bushwhack routes in the High Peaks, as well as some of the slide climbs.

The map can be hard to find- I've only seen it for sale in stores a handful of times. I can't remember where I bought mine as it's been several years.

There is a seperate map that accompanies the book that makes it easier (since the trails are numbered on the map as well as in the book, allowing for quick and easy reference between the two). The map is also printed on tyvek, making it more durable. It's not the best hiking map out there for the High Peaks, since the routes are basically hand drawn on top of the USGS topo maps (both the National Geographic and the ADK maps are superior) but it does have one advantage over other maps- it shows the majority of the hiking bushwhack routes in the High Peaks, as well as some of the slide climbs.

The map can be hard to find- I've only seen it for sale in stores a handful of times. I can't remember where I bought mine as it's been several years.

I should have mentioned that as well. Another thing about the McMartin map (correct me if I am wrong) is that lean to location is better than on the NatGeo. Not being a lean to aficionado like yourself, it never mattered to me. But I could certainly see after a long day when a member of a party would like to know exactly where they were headed, and not just in the general vicinity.

On its way... thanks for the recommendation.

It's coming with 2 other books related to peak-bagging... good grief, this "hobby" always starts off reasonable, then... At least I held off buying the 2 latter ADK books that only had 1 hike each in them, not a good ROI there.

I can quit anytime I want.

(Note that the way in which the Adirondacks are broken up is a bit counter intuitive in the Discover series... the High Peaks guidebook doesn't cover all of the High Peaks. You'll need Discover the Northern Adirondacks for Whiteface and Esther, and Discover the Northeastern Adirondacks for Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge.)

Last edited: