Iriquois + Mashall

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeenyus

Reaction score
What way would be the best aproach and descent for Iriquois and what is the easiest way to attempt Marshall

Is this a posable day hike?

I recommend hiking into Colden and staying the night. Do Marshall after hiking in from flowed lands, then grab Iroquois the next day. From what I understand, the path over to Iroquois from Marshall is hairy at best, but I have not hiked it. The trail up Marshall from flowed lands is beautiful, and offers slide after slide after mossy stream. Its one of my favorite hikes. Bring a bear container if you will be staying in Colden.

-percious

Both possible as day hikes, A fairly hard-core bushwhacker might do both in a single day. Standard Iroquois is from the Algonquin - Boundary Col. How you get there is harder. From Loj, which is where most come from, requires a trip thru Avalanche Pass & then up one of the steeper trails in the area. Trail climbs 2100 - 2300 or so feet in 1.7 miles. (I may be slightly off as I read this a couple of weeks ago before I descended this trail, it's one of the longer steepest trail sections in the ADK's. ) Other Loj option is to climb over Algonquin first then descend to the Algonquin - Boundary & take the herdpath. Having descended from the to Lake Colden & previously back over Algonquin, I think going back over Algonquin may be easier.

Have not been to Marshall yet but I've heard good things.

Iroquois-Marshall

Hi & welcome to Jeenyus.

We hiked this way (direct between Iroquois & Marshall) many time and every time was a good challenge!!!

Last time, 07-10-04 We started with Wright-Algonquin-Iroquois-Marshall-Colden in a day hike but You need to know this thing:

Barbara McMartin wrote :"them will recommand the trip except to their best friends or orst enemies." p. 261.

We think it a little bit exageration but if it will be your first hike in this area You need more information. Probably if You check in the old trip report You will find a nice description of this "path"

Have a good day & secure time.

Pinpin Junior. :)