Isolation Bushwhack on 3/12 Ms. Brown's #48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the snow that fell down my back on the last bushwhack, I've decided NOT to buy a neck gaitor and to just bring a chainsaw (this way Tom won't go home again all scratched up either!)
Of course some of that could have been from Dave throwing snowballs at the back of my head too :D , but I'm determined!

Oh and I will definitely be at the Red Parka for the post summit celebrations!!!

um....where is it?

Yes, it was Dave throwing snowballs!
:)

The Red Parka Pub is located on Route 302 Glen, NH.
Just past the traffic light in Glen.
Less than 10 miles from Rocky Branch lot.

Let the celebrations begin!

Sounds like we should meet up at Glen Junction for breakfeast at 7am...

Sounds good but a lot of us are driving up in the morning from Mass. and leaving our homes by 5 a.m. It's a 3 + hour drive so we can't make it. Maybe others that are more local or driving up the night before can meet.

Julie

Sky, ghostdog, & I live north of Pinkham Notch and while we can not make it for breakfast, we'll meet you at the trailhead 8-8:15. We will certainly celebrate with you and the others after the hike at the Red Parka Pub. Looking forward to Saturday!

I just heard the weather for the valley, 4-8" on Firday, 8-16" on Saturday and snow showers on Sunday. Sounds like I need to get some big snowshoes! :rolleyes:

What's a little snow

Let's plan on leaving our homes early enough to allow for the road conditions and being geared up to hit the trail by 8:30. I've followed the forecasts which predict from Friday into Sunday 6 and up to 12". Sky traded her 21" shoes for 25's!

Depending on road conditions, I may opt to stay home. I don't mind hiking in a snowstorm, but I'm not keen on driving in lousy conditions, which has the potential of taking a 2 1/2 hour drive into a much longer drive.

Having lived here too long, highways like 93, 25, 16, etc will be heavily plowed and sanded continuously. I can't speak for any other state. Some are heading up from Woburn/No Reading a half hour earlier to allow for road conditions. Agreed, the ride may be more breathtaking than the hike!

Hope to see you there, we've a hiker's dozen.

Last edited:
Sat.

LittleBear,

I think it's safe to say, we are all watching the weather at this point. I agree, the trail is not the problem. It's almost 3-1/2 hrs. from Westford, MA (w/ pit stops :) ) to that Trailhead, but it's the safety of all I'm more concerned about. I think most of the snow will fall while we are on the trail & in the Pub. Which will help with the traveling.
Time will tell. We should firm it up by no later than 8:00 tonight.

SkiMom,

What are you guys doing re: the storm? Not saying we aren't going Sat. at this point, but is Sun. an option for your crew if we have to bail on the Sat. trip? We are still hopeful for Sat. :) :)

Arm wrote saying he'll see us and the Carrigain hikers Saturday night at the Pub.

Wild, you're right most of the snow will fall while we're on the trail. I feel comfortable knowing only 6-12" will fall during the entire day. Up here the crews get right on plowing the main roads. They all are assigned short sections which they repeatedly re-plow and sand.

I agree with Tom. The hiking will be fine and a foot of snow is better than the 3 we had to deal with before, it's the getting there and getting home that will be the most dangerous part.
We'll have to stay in touch tonight to make a decision.
Is everyone available Sunday just in case?

Sky, ghostdog, 4 others and I can not go Sunday. We are definitely meeting Saturday at the trail lot 8-8:15. Most are leaving there homes earlier to allow for conditions. Looking forward to 'shoeing Saturday and the Pub afterwards.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Beggin'out

Sorry gang, it looks lilke I am going to have to skip this one. Family plans for Saturday are going to get in the way.

Soumds like you will be having a great time. Enjoy!

Just to let all know, we are heading up tonight to beat the snow. Some are still going up tomorrow. Try to be at the Trailhead at 8:15 for an 8:30 start as mentioned. Take an extra pr. of gloves/mitts to account for the snowfall most of the day. We will turn back if conditions call for it. Be safe in your travels. Hope to see you there.

10 PM Weather Update from Bartlett

Driving up tonight we had snow until exit 28,then dry roads to Twin Mountain. Heading south on 302 we encountered snow starting just before the Mt Washington Hotel. Currently there is a light snow falling with an accumalation of 3 -4 inches of very dry powder. The roads are half covered- driving is not an issue at this time. Trailhead is plowed with one car parked that must be hiking overnight.

At 10:40 pm not a flake is falling here in Lancaster. We'll definitely be at the trailhead by 8-8:15. If we're going 'shoeing, let's do it in the snow.

This should be a great day of fun in the outdoors! I'll be the one in the big red truck. Meeting new people, a little scared, but at least we can all wind down after at the RPP with some 9's, they have it on tap.