Its that time of the year - Renew NH Hike Safe Card

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do it. Separately, do snowmobile licenses also qualify? Can’t recall.

Rescue insurance pricing went up and now the card is cheaper if you're inclined to help bail the state out of properly funding the department and don't want to be covered anywhere but NH. Plan B: 7P.

Thanks for the reminder. We do it every year and think of it more as a way to support F&G and rescue efforts than “insurance.” Kind of like paying dues to the AMC even though we’re not active members.

A question: what do people do with their “certificates?” I’ve always thought it would be great to have it printed on some sort of plastic tag to hang from your pack (like the AT thru hiker tags) But can’t figure out how to do it. Any thoughts?

I have never carried one, the F&G officer did not ask for it when he called me back when I was sitting on Wildcat with a broken ankle ;)

Thanks for the reminder. We do it every year and think of it more as a way to support F&G and rescue efforts than “insurance.” Kind of like paying dues to the AMC even though we’re not active members.

A question: what do people do with their “certificates?” I’ve always thought it would be great to have it printed on some sort of plastic tag to hang from your pack (like the AT thru hiker tags) But can’t figure out how to do it. Any thoughts?
Just have it laminated (I think Fedex places have a machine where you can do this). Then punch a hole in it and use a tie wrap to attach to your pack.

I just print out a bunch and tuck one into each of my backpacks.

Thanks for the reminder @peakbagger

I try to leave it in my car. I wouldn't think you have to produce it on the spot in order to be covered. I can see F&G now: Sorry, no papers, no rescue!

Will that be cash or credit, to rescue you off this mountain ;)

They normally acknowledge if someone being rescued has a card in the reports.

I'm not sure if I'm missing the joke here? I assume that you all know, there is zero benefit to having the card with you. If you need rescue, they rescue, then later the state decides if you should be billed. No one is checking your Hikesafe status during a rescue.

i Wonder why they require and print your date of birth on the card.

Anyone know? Seems unnecessary and also a security / privacy risk.
Maybe to avoid them being shared? Wouldn't be hard to do without some type of identifying info. on it (especially for two people with the same name, like a Sr. & Jr.).

I had the honor of being the first to purchase the card years ago, just before rollout. I worked at DES, next door to F&G on Hazen Drive and wound up connected with the person in charge of the launch (discussing another matter), so I asked to be first. The Tampa grandkids have been "persuaded" to hike the Whites with me each year and I purchase for them as well.