J.A.M.ming with the Big Boys, 7/8/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETCH

Reaction score
Date: July 8, 2012
Trails/Peaks: Jefferson, Adams, Madison via Valley Way, Osgood, Star Lake, Lowes, Gulfside, Jefferson Loop, Randolph Path, Gray Knob, Hinks, Shortline, Airline trails
Trail Conditions: Everything was fairly dry, all trails in good shape
Cast of Characters:CrazyBob, Queen Weetamoo, James, Ken, Steve, and me
Stats: 14 miles, 6300 ft of gain; 10 hours.

Commentary
Well, the time had come to try to push the body beyond the typical dayhike elevation gains of 3,4, or 5K. And where else to get some serious elevation gain, than the Northern Big Boys: Jefferson, Adams, and Madison. I put together a 14 mile loop with 6300ft of gain including a couple new trails, and summoned the troops. Six of us took off from Appalachia at 8:30am Sunday morning and headed up the Valley Way towards Madison. We came across Karen (Happyhiker) along the trail and again later at the hut. As we gained elevation, the wind got louder and louder. The forecast for the higher summits was 35-50mph winds with higher gusts. Around the hut, the wind wasn't too bad, but increased in brutality, as we cranked up Madison. From the summit of Madison, we could see Adams was blanketed with fast moving clouds. We didn't hang around too long up top and booked it down to the hut for a little lunch. CrazyBob suggested we take the sheltered and steep Star Lake trail for the ascent of Adams. We were just on that trail 3 weeks ago, and I wasn't crazy about that climb. But, the plan made sense, so after lunch we marched on around Star Lake and begun the relentless climb.

Looking back towards Star Lake and Mt Madison
SAM_2526.JPG

Hiking up the Star Lake Trail
SAM_2528.JPG

The Great Gulf from Adams
SAM_2537.JPG

The trail seemed easier this time, and eventually we all summited Adams and took refuge amongst the rocks. So what's Next? Well, Jefferson of course! I mean, it's right there.......right? You could practically touch it!! We descended Adams exposed to the full force of the Westerly winds. We made the turn near Thunderstorm junction and descended more towards Edmands col. The Adams family peaks (Abigail and J.Q.) offered some relief from the wind

Take a walk on the Gulfside......
SAM_2543.JPG

Looking back at Edmands col and Mt Adams
SAM_2552.JPG

Down, down, down.......finally we hit Edmands col. The AMC really needs to fill in this area. Just a few hundred thousand pounds of 8" riprap would do the job quite nicely. Perhaps pave parts of it. One more big climb to go. What's another 800ft or so of elevation gain? Lot's of hikers on the trails enjoying the mostly sunny conditions. Cotton must be making a comeback, as we saw people in jeans, hoodies.....I kept waiting to see someone with some serious gold bling, but must have missed it. I didn't get the cotton memo as I must have been busy working on my TPS reports......So, we huffed, and we puffed and got to Jefferson, our final peak of the day.

The Castellated Ridge and Castle Ravine
SAM_2557.JPG

Back down at Edmands col, we took the Randolph path, and Gray Knob trail for the upper route back to Appalachia. Both these trails were really fantastic as they provided some great views of Castle Ravine and the Castellated Ridge. A quick stop at Gray Knob hut, then down the Hinks back towards the Shortline, then finally to Airline and out!

A long day in the hills, but a good day

Congrats to James for hitting the big 3 for the first time, Steve for hitting Madison and Adams, and Ken for checking off Jefferson.

And remember, Germans love David Hasselhoff !!

Slideshow from this trip

Petch

Nice report and pics as usual Petch. That's a heck of a day of rock hopping. Lots of elevation gain, and not easy trail!

Congrats to those in the group on all of their respective "firsts" on some of these mountains - what a great day for seeing how majestic are the northern Pressies and surrounding gulfs.

Oh yeah, Jefferson looks close from Adams....yeah, that's the ticket... :rolleyes:

Awesome tour of the Northern three! Great photos and a wonderful trip report, thanks!

Great TR and pics, Petch! Looks like a tough but fun loop. Surprised you saw so many people up there with jeans and cotton. You can definitely get chilled up there quickly with a sweat covered hoody. I also don't understand the jeans on a trail. If there is one uncomfortable thing to hike in, I would pick jeans for sure.

Again, great pics! Thanks for sharing them!

Karl

I did the same three with many of the same trails. I was shocked at the denim and groups with no packs.