January, Northern Presis, Alpine Style

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
My team potentially has room for one or two strong hikers with above treeline experience (in the winter in the whites) interested in the northern presis or potentially a full traverse. Right now we are at 3 and dont want to exceed four or five at most.

Our primary objectives are to 1) gain some extended alpine experience above treeline (if possible) and 2) come back safe.

The idea was to originally start with the northern presis from howker ridge and see how the conditions hold out. Then we started talking further and that if conditions were perfect... would we want to complete a traverse?--- Absolutely. So we have been tearing through resources, gearing up, planning for the worst, more planning, and training, training, training.

We have commited a full week to the whites (Jan 5-13)... hopefully it wont take all 6-7 days, ideally it would only take 3 (by valley way)-4 (w/ howker ridge) and we could do something else for the rest of the stay (i.e. ice climb, drink beer, etc.)

Some people do this in a long day or overnight in the winter... we are not interested in blowing through the area, but the experience of a few nights up high. As for the itenerary... day one hike to treeline or howker ridge or to valley way tent site... from there its all weather dependent.

Please PM me or email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Best Regards,
Justin

P.S. I got a lecture on the seriousness the last time i tried to post something like this (my first post, 2 years ago) .... so you dont have to waste time typing counsel and warnings... here it is for everyone's reference: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4859&highlight=presidential+traverse+winter

Trip Info

Hi Justin,

In case you have not already seen it, this info from Chauvin Guides is really useful. Especially the navigation table.

Hope you have a great time!

cb

Chris:

Thanks for the pointer, I actually spoke with Marc a few weeks back specifically about sphinx col... if you dont remember, you actually referred to this website a couple of winters ago when I first mentioned a traverse (see the p.s. of my first post in this thread). Thanks for the tip then, I have not forgotten about it.

For those who have not read the link Chris pointed out (Marc Chauvin's Winter Presi Traverse Guide), it is an excellent reference, one that doesnt hurt to be read many times.

Best Regards,
Justin

Ah ha! I have referred lots of folks to Marc's fine site for traverse info.

BTW -- I too hope to do a traverse (solo) sometime this winter.

cb

Hadn't seen this thread before but looks like a real good time. But it's too soon to plan all those days off from both jobs.
Good luck to you and I hope you get good weather and have a kickass time.
-Doug

DougPaul said:
As RoySwkr points out in the thread http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15200, this spot may not be legal for camping.

Doug

Thanks I did see this comment, actually.

With the way the season is going I highly doubt there will be two feet of snow there anyway... unless its wind deposited... Moving over that far for camp when heading south is pretty committing anyway...

We were hoping to shoot out from north of Jefferson and do Jefferson, Clay, Washington, and Monroe in a day... stoping just below treeline at eisenhower.

Believe you me if it was an emergency... I would not let some PC guideline stop me from seeking shelter from the wind at sphinx col or further down if it was the obvious choice.

blacklab2020 said:
Believe you me if it was an emergency... I would not let some PC guideline stop me from seeking shelter from the wind at sphinx col or further down if it was the obvious choice.
Not sure that I would call it PC, but in an emergency, one must do what one must do.

Doug

blacklab2020 said:
Our primary objectives are to 1) gain some extended alpine experience above treeline (if possible) and 2) come back safe.

Seems to me you have your goals in reverse order :D

Just kidding -- hope you had a great time. Sorry I saw this post so late, I would have been interested in the trip.

Matt

Just to follow up, we had a great time.. Our pack weights were above 50 which slowed us a bit. Day1 we had good conditions got to the ridge and summited Madison, Day 2 we were tentbound due to rain... that would refreeze and high winds up to 90 mph. Day 3 we attempted adams over to Edmunds... but visibility was less than 40 feet at times (right at teh cloud cieling, it was less higher up and later that day 2 people called 911 from the other side of the mountain). THe weather forcast for day 4 was crappy... more blowing snow and bad visibility. The winds were never outrageous. So we came down at the end of the third day, took day4 off and came back and summitted jefferson via the castle trail on day 5 with clear weather and 40 mph winds on top. The day we did jefferson was one of the best days up there, we hit the trail at 7:20, reached the castles by 11:00 am, summited at 12:50, descended randolph path to the israel ridge trail and were out by 6. On the way up a pair of gray jays (at the jcn for the link trail) decided to befriend us and would even sit on our outstretch hands if there was the prospect of gorp in sight! Quite a nice trip... a lot of waiting for decent weather conditions, though.