Jefferson, Washington 3/9/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveR

Reaction score
Peaks: Jefferson, Washington

Trails: Jewell trail, Gulfside trail, Crawford path, Ammonoosuc Ravine trail

Recommended equipment: snowshoes, light traction, sunglasses/goggles, sunscreen

We arrived at the cog base just before 7:30 to find the parking lot filling fast but still no problem. After gearing up and donning snowshoes, we started up Jewell and passed a couple of other groups enroute to the treeline. The track was fast and packed but it was still a little too cold and dry to firm up for bare boots.

At treeline we suited up for the forecast winds as it was only about 9am and yet to warm up much on the west side of the ridge. Goggles were also in order for some of the party solely for sun protection. Here we passed the first conga line and started to get a idea of the numbers of people out in the Presidentials today. Who can blame us? The high ridges have only been socked in since Presidents Day.

Headed up again we followed a track left toward Jefferson that broke off at about 4900', well short of the junction with Gulfside trail that's roughly 500' higher. This became the herd path du jour (and probably Sunday too...) over to Sphinx Col. It worked out great as we slabbed over at nearly the same elevation as the col. We summited Jefferson just before 10:30 via a somewhat direct route that wasn't always on any established trail. The groups ascending behind us seemed to follow suit. We met quite a number of people as we descended Jeff, all quite cheerfull and friendly. -hikers are just great people!

We didn't start the day with solid plans for a route after Jefferson, but a unanimous decision directed our attention to Washington. As we headed south on Gulfside trail over the shoulder of Mt. Clay the trail was quite consolidated at this elevation and bare booters would have no trouble, but on this side of Washington nearly all travellers were in snowshoes. As expected, the most wind we experienced all day was as we passed above the headwall of Great Gulf, though the warm temperatures near mid-day made the bluster a non issue. The Crossing of the ridge was just spectacular. As a safety precaution we angled over toward the cog tracks to avoid the no-fall zone as Gulfside approaches the junction with the Great Gulf trail. Travel time from Jefferson to Washington was about 1:40.

There were hordes of folks at the Washington summit lazing in the abundant sunshine in the lee of the summit building. We waited in line for the compulsory summit photos, fueled up, and continued on our way in short order. I had made the switch to crampons based on the example of lines of climbers arriving from the south, while the rest of the group elected to stay in snowshoes.

We met many more people ascending the southwestern flank of George as we made our way down toward Lakes of the Clouds. The snow on this side of Washington was much less consolidated and those traveling upwards had their work cut out for them. We made fast work out of the descent, however, and soon arrived at the hut where a large number of people coming off from Monroe were regrouping. There are some short sections of icy and rather tricky footing as you approach the hut, and some sort of traction will be beneficial. We watched a number of unprepared individuals struggle over these.

The trip down Ammo was fun and certainly faster than in summer. If you favor the buttsliding exit, this is your trail! Many, many bare booters had passed this way today but under the mashed potato was a solid base so no real damage was done. I never postholed while descending in traction only. We arrived back at the cog station just before 3PM to find the lots overflowing and plenty of creative parking.

Notes: After weeks of socked in summits we knew it might look like the Hillary Step up there, but we are all waiting for these severe clear days that only come around a few times a season. Everybody was happy and social and i'm glad to see them all up there... bare boot, snowshoe, ski, roller skate, I don't care. As long as you get out there!

For those crazy people who do this in 0 viz (you know who you are), the Jewell trail enters the treeline at 44 17.040 071 19.543. I know this kind of way point has helped me in the past, so I just want to play it along. Also the jewell/Gulfside intersection is at 44 16.945 071 19.003. You don't want to cut the corners too short as you can get into some treacherous territory.

The whole route is severely dog friendly and we saw several along the way. Kibo got her #42 and #43 NH4K. (#23 winter)

A big thank you to all of our group and to all the strong legs and strong hearts out there that make this all possible when we couldn't possibly break it all out on our own.

Nice Job with your first TR, SteveR.

That was an awesome and very comprehensive report.

See you soon,
Z

Nice report! We were one of the groups you passed heading to Jefferson (and then back to Washington and Monroe). You guys were really moving along. What a great day it was!