JETBOIL:Are they really that good?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by SARDOG1
One liter (32 oz.) in the cup. The newest packaging will include two cups with the stove. The new pot support (usually sold as an accessory) will allow use of a three liter pot.

The jetboil will boil pretty violently (that is a positive comment) so a full liter will spill. IIRC, they recommend only boiling 2 cups but hey, live dangerously. ;)

On the downside, the cup is generally too hot to actually drink from, though they show people doing in on their packaging (yikes!). I guess if you use the plastic lid, and the food can pass though the tiny hole, you'd be OK. Cleaning the cup, if you cook in it, can be a chore due to the depth.

I picked up the pot support -- used it with good results for a skillet. I really like the cannister legs and use them all the time. All fit inside the cup.

Jim

I have a jetboil and use it to boil water only. I don't see how anything could be simpler. To cook a meal with the new add on stuff works I'm sure. It just becomes more of a chore like the other stoves which all seem to work too. I think Jetboil was basically designed to boil water and it does that extremely well with minimal setup, takedown, and cleanup as long as you don't use the cup to mix. I just use it with freezdried junk and use a separate cup for hot drinks.

Tuggy has a good point. The JetBoil was only designed to do one thing, boil water. But, it was designed to do it the most efficient way possible, since that was its only task.

Some of the other stoves were mean to do more than one thing, but to do them well, so there was some compromise.

So, if all you want to do is boil water, then the JetBoil is probably your stove. But, if you want it to perform other duties, a different stove is in order.

jbreen said:
The jetboil will boil pretty violently (that is a positive comment) so a full liter will spill. IIRC, they recommend only boiling 2 cups but hey, live dangerously. ;)

On the downside, the cup is generally too hot to actually drink from, though they show people doing in on their packaging (yikes!). I guess if you use the plastic lid, and the food can pass though the tiny hole, you'd be OK. Cleaning the cup, if you cook in it, can be a chore due to the depth.

I picked up the pot support -- used it with good results for a skillet. I really like the cannister legs and use them all the time. All fit inside the cup.

Jim

Good comments all. I boiled almost a liter this morning for (1) a double shot of breakfast cider and three packets of oatmeal. (Yes, I really, really like oatmeal.) I watched the stove like a hawk and shut 'er down at the first sign of rolling water. This is not a stove to leave unattended for even a few seconds, IMO.

I cannot imagine drinking from the cup right off the stove.

Ditto on the pot support and canister legs.

i've gotta say i like my jetboil. it really is FAST, and i've made a friend or two much more comfortable very quickly when they've gotten very cold.

Gee, Am I the only one still using the slightly heavy but indestructable, and inexpensive Coleman Peak1?

Originally posted by Quietman
Gee, Am I the only one still using the slightly heavy but indestructable, and inexpensive Coleman Peak1?

I retired my prone-to-flare-up Peak I at the request of she-who-must-be-obeyed. I could never get it to start without an initial belch of flame that lasted 10 seconds or so.
The simplicity and light weight of the Jetboil/pot combination is much better and I don't see my wife standing 10ft back everytime I light it.

Love the JetBoil

Have had the MSR Whisperlite for many years. Just got the Jetboil. Love the JetBoil. Agree with the limitations previously stated about water only, don't overfill and don't leave unattended (haven't used in cold weather so I would hesitate to comment). 2 cups of water boils in 90-120 seconds. Why overfill? Just wait another 90-120 seconds. Got the second cup then returned it- we use the JetBoil just to boil the water. Much easier to drink from cool plastic or Lexan cup and easier to clean. Unless you drink from the JetBoil cup it will only take a few seconds to refill it. Perfect for boiling water - if you like to fry things or use pots and pans other choices may be better.

Bottom line - Love the JetBoil :)

Pete_Hickey said:
Svea?

Showing my age?

No, your wisdom. Svea is still my winter stove (WITHOUT THE PUMP! :) )

I thought a long time about trying Jetboil and then I happened to win one. I like the quick packing and unpacking, the quietness, and the ease of use. I dislike using disposable fuel containers, although they can be recycled with care.

As I have said elsewhere on another occasion, I bring a Whisperlite when I want some busywork to keep me occupied. And then I still bring the 35 year old Svea -- just in case.

An early Peak 1 tried to kill me once; I keep it locked in the garage.

10-90 seconds of flare-up from the Peak 1 just adds to the fun of camping with the kids. Such as, "Hey Dad, the branches in the tree above your head are on fire", or "Hey Mom, Dad set the picnic table on fire again", and the famous "Hey Dad, how long till you can get close enough to turn it off!"

Actually, most of the time it works just fine. Just don't use near a tent, or any wooden structure. :D