Joe Simpson in Boston

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob

Reaction score
January 30 (Friday) Boston
7:00 Making of Touching the Void
& Q&A with Joe Simpson
REI - Boston
401 Park Drive

link

Last edited:
Real Sports - HBO

They did a feature on Simpson that was pretty good - I didn't catch it all, but it's being repeated tomorrow at 3:30pm

Oh Man, I'm gonna be at the Gathering when he's in NYC, I'd love to hear him speak... I'm going to have to look into tickets for the premiere. If any NYC'ers out there are interested in the premiere it's on the 23rd...

Warren said:
Oh Man, I'm gonna be at the Gathering when he's in NYC, I'd love to hear him speak... I'm going to have to look into tickets for the premiere. If any NYC'ers out there are interested in the premiere it's on the 23rd...
Warren

I haven't seen this in the Times movie ads yet (although there was a review Sunday). When/where will it open?

Tnx
Pb

Warren said:
I was thinking of taking myself out to dinner and going then or if not, Sunday (11:15, 1:25, 3:45, 6:05, 8:25, 10:40).

Interested?
Maybe. I'll email you if I can work something out.

Rock and Ice review

This month's Rock and Ice reviewed the movie, they said it was the most true to life climbing film since 'The Eiger Sanction'.

Which isn't saying much since you could easily see the top rope when Clint was "leading" George Kennedy up an off width chimney on the red sandstone spire. That aside, I still have very high hopes for the movie.

JohnL

I saw it

I saw it

Just got back from the 1:25 showing in NYC.

In a word: awesome!

The voice over, docudrama format worked very well. Even that tear in Joe's (the real Joe's) eye looked for real. I was impressed by:

1) the photography
2) the "acting" on the part of the climbers. I read somewhere that they were told "don't act, do it". Very convincing - these were clearly real climbers. And watching Joe stumbling and crawling across the glacier and morrain was agonizing.
3) the honesty of the narative (even to the point of Joe peeing his pants - and no it wan't crude, it was real!). Joe's story was pretty unglossed though I'm sure the reality was different.
4) Best scene was when he couldn't get some rock band out of his head. Almost surrreal.

The audience was very quite. You really got the idea that this was like it really was. I was very moved. And hey, I wasn't frightened by the high exposure scenes. I thought the scene of Frodo, Sam and Gollum on the long stair was scarier (especially bivouacing unanchored!) But that was another movie. One and only complaint: too many fade-to-black scene changes. Nobody's perfect.

See it.
Pb

Last edited: