Kaaterskill High Peak- 1/15/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing this peak as my last winter Cat 3500 peak as I didn't try to finish this on New Year's Day as my original plan. I did do the 8 others I needed to do between Xmas and 1/1/06 though.

I'm thinking of doing Blackhead with Carol on saturday as a winter 3500 peak for Carol's regular 3500 list and then finishing up on sunday on KHP from the Long Path parking lot. I think FunkyFreddy, who I did a bunch of peaks is free that day...

If you're interested, let me know. It's a good chance, given good weather, we'll be camping somewhere on saturday night...

Jay

Hi Jay, where are you staying the night of the 14th? I would like to go on the 15th, have to figure things out.....

Hi Julie, just let me know if you plan on coming. No definite plans yet and my plans always tend to change! :) Saturday, Carol just mentioned Blackhead cause she needs it for the winter peaks. Blackhead is a very nice winter peak with nice views and a nice ledge to relax on...

Fred, as far as camping goes, we might stay at Batavia Kill after blackhead or we might somewhat car camp off the Long Path by the LP trailhead for KHP. Or just sleep in our car there as I've done that before there. No plans yet though, will depend on what we do saturday. Anybody have the friday off? I can hike on that friday too...

jay

I have the 16th off and was planning to do Greylock in MA on the 14th & 15th, but no one's interested in that trip, so I'd like to join y'all, if you'll have me. I can base camp or backpack, whatever. I've got duplicates of a lot of winter gear, if anyone needs something.

oh man, wish I could make it, but that Sunday is not looking good for me. Have a good safe trek!

I'd love to tag along if that's OK. I can meet at the parking area in the morning. It will be my first hike this winter so I guess I'll be the caboose. :rolleyes: Let me know what's up.
Happy New Year

I'll make it a point to get out somewhere a couple of times before KHP to condition a bit so I can help break trail.
CC

catskillclimber, no worries about speed. There are always varying speeds on our hikes, this isn't an AMC hike. ;)

I will post here on times and places for saturday/sunday. There may be a few hiking on monday too, but I don't have off...

Jay

Camping idea

You could hike up the LP from Palenville and camp along the tops of the falls.... its a nice hike in, why, one could even drag a sled! And its a nice place to camp, might even see some ice climbers. And there are fire rings galore already.....

Good Luck!

Margaret

Hey Chip, I PM'ed you back, just in case you didn't get it.

Tentative plans right now is kind of meet at the end of Barnum road for Thomas Cole and me to drop Daxs off (who will be car pooling with me). Then for me to go off to Peck road and do WHP and back. Then I will drive to the end of Big Hollow Road and start hiking towards Blackhead and then west towards Thomas Cole running into the gang going east. Then I'll turn around and hike out with the rest, giving them shuttles back to Barnum if I will fit.

Might be nice to have one more car just in case Matt or Fred or anybody else shows up. I can probably fit 4 more in my outback but I know with winter gear it'll be tight.

Jay

Khp

Hey Jay,

I'm in for Sunday, just let me know the stats on the meeting spot. Do you think it's cool to bring the JRT's? Anyone mind a couple of small dogs tagging along? Believe me, they won't slow us down...we've been doing alot of training on Little Mountain and we're going for a run to Stoppel Point today avec Sarah.

J

Spoke to Rik about the dog thing, he says it is probably fine for the little guys! You are aware though that the summit climb from the snowmobile trail can be ledgy, though the north side is not as tricky as the south one, especially the one right below hurricane ledge from the south.

jay

Khp

Hi,
I'm new in here (not out there).
My plans for the weekend were shot, my partner pooped out on me.
I'm not sure what I am going to do on Sunday (still going to figure out Saturday as well).

I might post my weekend trip to see if I get any interest here.

Can you keep me in the loop with the meeting time and such?
If you don't mind me showing up or not?
Thanks,
Ronnie (Zer0-G)

Ronnie, right now we're pencilled in for 8am at Peck Road trailhead for WHP for saturday, camping somewhere on saturday night either at Batavia Kill or Devil's Kitchen and on sunday, 9am at LP trailhead on Platte Clove Road.

Do let me know if you plan on showing up though..

Jay

catskillclimber said:
What can we anticipate for weather/gear issues?
I'm planning on 40 degrees and monsoon conditions on saturday; mud, slush, ice. A couple full changes of clothes.
& 20 degrees, flurries, ice, partially frozen mud on sunday.
I don't believe snowshoes will be needed either day, but there are still pockets of snow around.

I cannot believe the amount of gear and clothing I have packed for this trip. Changes, of clothing, light weight clothing, winter clothing, crampons, snow shoes, extra boots (2 pr summer boots and winter boots), gortex, fleece, driclim precip. Heck I could have a good garage sale. But, a good time will be had by all. The hot apple cider and bourbon will REALLY tast good Sat night at the lean to. :D