Katahdin questions.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RE: Katahdin Questions

Greg, I was in Baxter last July. Great trip through and through. Went up South TUrner when I got there and it's a great hike with incredible views of Katahdin and the Great Basin. Did Cathedral up/Saddle down the following day and then Hamlin Ridge on the 3rd day. Cathedral is fun and steep (definitely a workout). Definitely not for descent. Saddle is your best choice. Agree with King Tut where he said the best way is go up Dudley, over the Edge and down Saddle. Dudley is steep (so I hear....doing it this summer I hope) and Helon Taylor is a very long climb. Whichever way you do it, though, Katahdin is special in everyway and the views from Baxter are priceless.

Safe hiking!

Thanks

It sounds like up Dudley and down the Saddle is the way for me to go. May try to go mid-week in mid-September to avoid crowds.

Baxter in September is amazing, I'm going to try and go back this Sept. if I possibly can. I would also advise someone going to Baxter for the first time to do other mountains as well as Katahdin. Mt. Katahdin and the Knife's edge are amazing but there are many other areas and mountains that are worth exploring in the park. Sentinal Mt., Mt. Coe, the Brothers, Traveler, and Doubletop come to mind immediately. I haven't done Traveler or Doubletop yet but plan to do so soon. I would eventually like to redline all the trails in Baxter and climb all of its peaks.

So many mountains, so little time.......

Last edited:
Bsp

There are a lot of other campgrounds in the area, some run by the state, and most are first come-first served. I spent 6 days at a local site (e-mail me for directions, but it's close to the gate), and it was great, no bugs, very few people, awesome views, and it was $4 a nite per person. We didn't make reservations with the Park, and decided to get in line early on Sunday. At 5:40 AM (gate opens at 6AM), we were too late as the line getting in was almost a mile long. Turns out people were in line at midnight and the people who made it in last were in line at 4:30 AM. We went to Thrillinockett (Millinockett), to the BSP headquarters and made reservations for the next day (Monday), and just hiked Gulf Hagas that Sunday (highly recommend it as a backup). The next day we arrived at 8AM, and once again the mountain was closed, but we had reservations, so we were able to get in no problem. We were able to hike up and come back down without incident (just after dark), it was a truly great day, but very cold at the summit.

Bring warm clothes, plenty of water for the route you're taking, and definitely a flashlight (headlamp preferred).

This is the campsite, and the view from the beach. Some other pics are here.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG