Katahdin Trail options from Chimney Pond to Knife's Edge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pammy

Reaction score
Very excited that we also got our reservations for Katahdin (leanto at Chimney Pond). This will be my first time there. I know I'll need to get a map, but what are our trail choices and peak choices if we want to cross the Knife Edge, coming from Chimney Pond? A friend told me we would have been better off staying at Roaring Brook, so that we could park a car at one end, and a second car at the other end and make the whole traverse, but we got the last spot in a leanto and it was at Chimney Pond. So what would be the hike of choice from Chimney Pond? Difficulty and Challenge is NOT a problem! :)

Are bugs bad for sleeping, at the end of August?

Thanks!
Pam

If you want to just do the Knife Edge from Chimney, probably the best loop would be up Dudley to Chimney Peak and the Eastern end of the Knife, across Knife Edge to Baxter peak, and North and then East down the Saddle Trail. That's a tough day, with a steep ascent up Dudley to Chimney Peak. Doing this loop you'd hit Chimney and Baxter Peak. If you wanted more peaks and a bigger loop you could add Hamlin Peak and go down the Hamlin trail.
Mad props on the Chimney reservation. The slog up to Baxter Peak from Roaring Brook is looong. I'd would much prefer going up Dudley from Chimney. Plus, Chimney is much harder to reserve than Roaring Brook, so you should definitively enjoy that reservation.

This year with the tame Winter I'd say there'd still be plenty of bugs then. Bring your full length bug netting if you don't like cooking inside your sleeping bag trying to avoid the bugs.

Have fun :)

Last edited:
Here's a trip report from Roaring Brook.

And here's one from Chimney Pond, near the bottom of the page.

The loop from Chimney Pond is great, we went down the Cathedral trail both times, which is a tougher route than the Saddle trail. No matter how you do it, it's a long day. I would definately prefer going up Dudley to down, but then we went down Cathedral so take that for what it's worth.

Get out early, hope for good weather, watch the weather forecast, and enjoy.

-dave-

Thanks!

THANK YOU THANK YOU for the suggestions. How many hours would you estimate for the first loop you mentioned (Chimney and Baxter Peak). How about the loop adding Hamlin trail. We've done the Presi Traverse, Longs Peak, and the Bonds, so we're used to a few looooooong hikes. :)

Thanks again for the suggestions....and you made me feel like we got a great location with Chimney Pond. :)

Bye
Pam

cbcbd said:
If you want to just do the Knife Edge from Chimney, probably the best loop would be up Dudley to Chimney Peak and the Eastern end of the Knife, across Knife Edge to Baxter peak, and North and then East down the Saddle Trail. That's a tough day, with a steep ascent up Dudley to Chimney Peak. Doing this loop you'd hit Chimney and Baxter Peak. If you wanted more peaks and a bigger loop you could add Hamlin Peak and go down the Hamlin trail.
Mad props on the Chimney reservation. The slog up to Baxter Peak from Roaring Brook is looong. I'd would much prefer going up Dudley from Chimney. Plus, Chimney is much harder to reserve than Roaring Brook, so you should definitively enjoy that reservation.

This year with the tame Winter I'd say there'd still be plenty of bugs then. Bring your full length bug netting if you don't like cooking inside your sleeping bag trying to avoid the bugs.

Have fun :)

Thanks David! I'll definitely read your trip reports. :)

Bye
Pam

David Metsky said:
Here's a trip report from Roaring Brook.

And here's one from Chimney Pond, near the bottom of the page.

The loop from Chimney Pond is great, we went down the Cathedral trail both times, which is a tougher route than the Saddle trail. No matter how you do it, it's a long day. I would definately prefer going up Dudley to down, but then we went down Cathedral so take that for what it's worth.

Get out early, hope for good weather, watch the weather forecast, and enjoy.

-dave-

A bunch of us aged 28 through 70 (not fast) have done various combinations of the loop from Chimney Pond several times. CP--> Dudley--> Pamola--> Knife Edge-->Baxter then down Saddle took us 5-6 hours, and the loop over Hamlin (which I really like, though Hamlin Ridge is kind of tough when you are tired) added another 2 hours. Your mileage may vary, and will likely be faster given your experience.
My actual favorite, now that I've done the Knife Edge, is up Cathedral and down Hamlin. It's plenty tough, minus the exposure on the KE, plus more interesting views IMO.
Bugs, while present, are unlikely to be as bad in late August as they will be in June/July. You got a great spot- enjoy!
Weatherman

OMG, this is your first time at Baxter! And you got res. at Chimney Pond? at that?!!! Good for you! You are in for a real treat! The views there are soo spectacular, your never going to want to leave!

Well, this is my opinion...take it from a scaredy cat, cautious person. For one thing, I personally wouldn't do the Knife Edge, but if heights don't bother you, then go for it. Not sure what the best way up would be, as I've always gone up the Saddle Trail, except for ONE time! That was my first trip up and we took the Chimney Pond Trail and Cathedral Trail, up and only made it to Cathedral Cutoff Trail and had to decend using the Saddle Trail, back down Chimney Pond Trail. That was a very strenous trip for me for a few reasons. One, I wasn't really physically prepared for it, two I have short legs(I'm only 5'2") and had some difficulties with the rock climbing, and three(most of all)am afraid of heights. So needless to say, my first experience wasn't the best.

My second time up was better but still strenous for me. Again we started very early(I think about 7:00am), took the Chimney Pond Trail, then the Saddle Trail, same way back down. I think we got back to Roaring Brook about 8:00pm that eve. Now, I'm probably slower then some, especially when I've exhausted most of my energy....so everyone's different.

Now, I've lost track of how many times, I've been up there(Baxter State Park, that is), since we've done some winter hikes in there as well(obviously not to the peak). But I have to say one of my most memorible trips to Baxter was the time we had the cabin at Chimney Pond. It was late August/early September time frame. We almost couldn't go because of a rain storm during the week before we were going. They had closed Chimney Pond the day before we were supposed to go, for high water, then got lucky and they lifted the ban the day we were to hike into Chimney Pond from Roaring Brook. We had a stream crossing, but after that it was a piece of cake.

Like I said, that was one of my best trips up there. The bugs were'nt too bad at that time of year(believe me, I'd be the one to know) and we had a chaperone(big bull moose), that hung around up there practically the whole weekend! :) What a treat that was for everyone! I think just about every time I've been to Baxter, we've had moose sitings(with the exception of winter). Had an early enough start to reach Baxter Peak(Katahdin) in plenty of time to enjoy it and still do other trails on the way back. That trip was were with a bunch of people and they all wanted to go down Hamlin Ridge Trail. Well, for the most part(for me anyway), it wasn't too bad, there were some hairy sections that did scare the crap outta me, but all in all wasn't too bad. Like I said, I'm a scardy cat of heights.....some I can deal with....but...I have my hubby to cling onto. :) But just staying at Chimney Pond was so great that I can't even explain it. You will absolutely love it! I hope you have great weather and have a wonderful trip! You'll have to do a trip report so we can all hear about it! Have fun and be safe.

My favorite trail from there is going up the cathedral trail and then across the knife edge. Great views, lots of open areas, not too much fun for people afraid of heights, but a great rush of blood to the head.

Don't be upset about chimney pond reservations, most people would kill to get a lean-to there. I would much rather stay there than do a traverse of both sides of the mountain. It is a magical place. DO NOT FORGET YOUR CAMERA! Absolutely stunning views from the pond.

p.s.-don't feed the bears. I have plenty of memories of them at chimney pond when I was growing up.

Iffin you're goona do the knife edge and Katahdin, up the Dudley trail is a real hoot. One of my favorite rock scrambles. And there is index rock to klimb up onto. I think Pepsi and Artex have it in their avatars, although Artex keeps changing his. The knife edge is a must do. I do not like the Saddle trail. It's a gravel slide down, and I like terra firma. The more firma the less terra. I did enjoy Hamlin ridge quite a bit. I love rocks to klimb on.

Did anyone say bring your camera??? Pennsy has been up there a half dozen times and it's always socked in with clouds :mad: , Good luck getting a good day. I normally do :) . So what happens when Pennsy and I go there together? :eek:

Enjoy!

Your going to love Katahdin! It's the only mountain this side of the Rockies that makes you feel like your IN the Rockies (though there is much more oxygen). :)

Since you have already done Long's (via the Keyhole route I presume), a loop from Chimney Pond up Dudley, across the KE to Baxter, over to Hamlin, and back down to CP via the Hamlin Ridge would be easier than what you did in Colorado. Similar exposure, but a lot fewer miles...

One more similar opinion

Wow David M...i finally found someone else foolish enough to go DOWN Cathedral. The difference is that i hated it. Ugh ugh ugh. If i had it to do again via Chimney Pond, it would be Dudley to Knife's Edge again, but down Saddle instead. All assuming good weather. Sounds like with the Presi Traverse that the length of the day won't phase you at all, since it's not so bad. But i found that the "trails" (= trees cleared away from endless rocks) at Katahdin to maybe be a half-notch more of a pain on the knees than what i've experienced in the Presis. Have fun!

Last year I went up cathedral, over knife edge, and down dudley, it is probably my favorite route to take on Katahdin.

I've gone down Cathedral twice, but such is life. I really is a grind by the time you reach the bottom.

-dave-

Perfect timing Pammy, I too have reservations for my first visit at Chimney Pond...I think 8/15 and 8/16....taking my son 14 and daughter 10.....I'm reading the suggestions about hiking Baxter.....I don't think I'll try the Knife Edge with them...I also wanted to know if bear cannisters were mandatory or just those rodent bags?...my problem is that we can't train during the summer to get in shape....no problem for them but it's me that i'm worrying about....full length bug netting! yikes!...I was told to bring some type of funeral draping to close off the opening of the lean to...take care..