Kathadin/Baxter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amigo

Reaction score
My brother and I are contemplating hiking Kathadin early in the week of June 21. If it's during the week, what are the chances we get a campsite just showing up without reservations?

As well, if we don't have reservations, how early does one have to show up at the gate to get a permit for day-hiking? How many day permits are handed out?

Thanks.

You take your chances re: getting a campsite by just showing up, and the only campsites available might be in the backcountry (backpack in) or on the north end of the Park, up to South Branch Pond, which means a major drive from Togue Pond Gate or Park HQ in Millinocket. It is possible, esp. mid week during black fly season, but it is a risk. Have you tried to call Park HQ to see if anything is available? If the weather is bad, people who had reservations might not show, so a place might be available.

Usually you have to be to the Gate to dayhike Katahdin by 4- 4:30am to get in line -- it is not as busy during the week, but on the weekends, the parking lots are usually full by 6am or so. If you are a Maine resident, you can reserve a parking space (20 available per day).

That is my experience, I am sure others can comment further. I usually reserve a parking space, so I haven't done the early gate rush in a while.

Good luck, it is a lot of rigamaroll, but worth it to go to Baxter!

Laura

I'm not sure they'll let you fill in for no-shows unless, perhaps, there has been a cancellation.

We made reservations on "opening day" for three at Chimney Pond for a Sunday and Monday night in late August. The rest of the bunk house was booked by the time we got there. However, we had the whole place to ourselves both nights ... perhaps because of the weather forecast ... it turned out to be beautiful weather.

The ranger came around and described it as, "The ultimate in no-impact camping, you pay your fee and don't show up!"

I agree with Laura, do what you can to stay in the park. It's worth it both for the convenience and the joy of being there. I'd also suggest seeing more of the Park. There are lots of good hiking destinations and canoes are available for modest rental fees at some of the ponds.

Thanks for the responses. Our only goal this time, due to time constraints, is to climb up Kathadin and do Knife's Edge - my brother hasn't been there before.

Sounds to me like even on a Monday morning, one has to show up very early to get a day-pass. Does anyone know how many such passes they give out?

"passes" are based on available spaces in the trailhead parking lots

If people with reservations don't call the park to cancel, the ranger can't give their spot away. I'm not sure if they can after a certain time of day, the park could tell you that.
I know that once at Chimney Pond we were told we could move to a different lean-to if the party that reserved it didn't show by 8pm.

I'm not sure if that's standard practice, but I've gotten to Chimney Pond at 8:30pm before, and would have been unhappy if my space was taken by others.

Like others said, why not call the park and try and make a reservation? If you call within 10 days of your stay you can reserve over the phone with a credit card.