Kayak etiquite (sp?)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
On Wed we were in a big group waiting for others to cross a boat channel.....i tried to stay away from others but the current and waves pushed me into another boat...at the same time someone from behind me touched my boat....do people have fits when another person's boat touches theirs? or it's understood that sometimes boats rub into each other?...believe me I tried my best to stay clear but it was useless at times....I do understand some boats are big $ and I was in a rental.....freekin newbi's....can't take us anywhere....thx....

Wont worry at all, especially if all of you are in rentals... happens when hiking too every now and then, especially with poles!!! I wouldn't make it a habit but plastic boats get beat on, the reason why people buy plastic boats... However, as you become a more skilled paddler, it'll become a bit more of history anyway.

Heck, sometimes you purposefully bump your boat into others, assited rescues and or if you are conferring on a map, you will sometimes raft up, cross paddles and float together for a while...

Having said that, folks in compsites are naturally more protective of their gelcoat so be aware...

Jay

For the most part I never worry about about it unreasonably.
I do try not to drop other peoples boats when I offer to help them unload off their vehicles.
If someone is real sensitve about not gettin bumped into on the water then they will need the skills to keep that from happening.
other than that you just do the best you can
and
have fun!! & enjoy !!

Those paddlers who worry about a little contact hang tires all around their boat :eek:

... as for the etiquette, it depends upon where you make contact. If you keep your hands out of their cockpits it should be ok :eek: