Keen Sandals?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianW

Reaction score
I keep on seeing Keen sandals at outdoor stores and am wondering if anyone has them and what they think of them. Are the decent water shoes? easy day hikes? etc. thanks- brianW

Yes I've had great luck with them. I use them for hiking and kayaking. I like the fact the toe is enclosed, which gives far greater protection.
So far I have found them to be pretty indestructible.

I have a pair of the heavy duty ones. Comfy, supportive, and they protect my tootsies from getting banged and scraped on the rocks. Pretty good soles too, fairly "sticky" on rocks. They are a bit heavy but i'll bring them along this season for sure for crossings and lounging at camp. Maybe even some fanny pack hiking.

Are they worth $80-100? I have a hard time shelling out that kind of dough for sandals...

sounded expensive to me also so i tried crocs, under$30 and the most comfortable footwear i own.
they are extremely light, they float, dont fall off, and they conform to your feet.
not as rugged a sole as keens though
made in canada :D

Last edited:
I've been wearing Keens as my primary recreational footwear (other than ski boots) for about 18 months now. They hold up well (longer mileage between replacements than Tevas). At first I didn't like the toebox concept -- I wanted sandals -- but they have their places: scree and bushwhacking, in particular. Fine water shoes for boating, and they work fine for hiking. I do find them blister up worse than Tevas did, but that's really only a once-a-year issue (i.e. the first day after the ski boots get taken out of the car).

On our Grand Canyon trip last year, one of the participants lived in her Keens for 12 days - swimming, hiking, and lounging. She loved them. The only minus was that when sand got in, the shoe had to be taken off to get it out. She went sockless the whole time. I'm waiting for a sale.

Got a pair last year, mostly becuase i can't handle naked toes. I think they would murder my feet in an extended hike but they worked fine for kayaking and being around water, though they are a tad bulky for lower volume kayaks.

upgrade?

Keen also sells leather shoes that have the same shaped sole and toe as the sandals. Has anyone ever worn these? Are they comfortable?

el-bagr said:
I've been wearing Keens as my primary recreational footwear (other than ski boots) for about 18 months now. They hold up well (longer mileage between replacements than Tevas). At first I didn't like the toebox concept -- I wanted sandals -- but they have their places: scree and bushwhacking, in particular. Fine water shoes for boating, and they work fine for hiking. I do find them blister up worse than Tevas did, but that's really only a once-a-year issue (i.e. the first day after the ski boots get taken out of the car).

I noticed in a prior picture of yours you were wearing Teva's in Tuckerman Ravine -- thought you prolly hiked up there with them. I've been a chaco fan for years as they seem to support my feet/arch/ankles more then any other sandal. Keens cuaght my eye a few months ago and thought they would be great for light hikes and the endless walking/standing I do at work. I love 'em (though ain't giving up the Chaco's yet)

On another note, I WISH I could hike in such shoes. I've always had troubel with my ankles. I almost always hike with boots - stiff ones at that. I find a nice stiff sole and sturdy lace up really help with "ankle ake." My boots have never been my lightest piece of gear...

Keen shoes

Quack said:
Keen also sells leather shoes that have the same shaped sole and toe as the sandals. Has anyone ever worn these? Are they comfortable?
Comfortable? Yes (got 'em on my feet right now). Loved 'em for winter and spring, but I find them a bit too warm now that we're getting into summer, so I need to find a cooler, comfortable, and casual shoe suitable for the office. (I know folks will say the sandals are great for the office, but I do need a real shoe.)

Kurt

I've had mine for about a year....Originally $80, I got them on sale for $60. End of the summer sale at EMS they were $30!!!! They're good solid sandals and perfect for after a long day of hiking, say 23+ miles on the Escarpment Trail....