Kelly Trail - Old Growth?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBates

Reaction score
I hiked the Kelly Trail a few days ago. From all of the old downed giants in the upper portion of the trail, it looked to me like the small part of the trail that is in the highest, narrowest, and steepest portion of the trail did not get logged, presumably because it was so difficult to access and maneuver in. I see no mention of this in the Guide. Would anybody happen to know?

Based on the many pleasant hours I spent as the adopter of the Kelley Trail, I agree with your observations. There is evidence that timber (perhaps mast pines) was hauled south from Albany Intervale, up Olivarian Brook, through Paugus Pass, down the Old Mast Road, and thence on to Portsmouth. (Although this route seems unlikely at first, when you study a map it was actually the easiest way to get large timber out of Albany Intervale.) My point being that the haul road would have skirted above the steep, narrow sections of the valley, leaving these trees untouched. More recent logging from the south also seems to have bypassed these steep slopes.

I hiked the Kelly Trail a few days ago. From all of the old downed giants in the upper portion of the trail, it looked to me like the small part of the trail that is in the highest, narrowest, and steepest portion of the trail did not get logged, presumably because it was so difficult to access and maneuver in. I see no mention of this in the Guide. Would anybody happen to know?

I know that 'The Bowl' has some old growth, but I'm not sure it extends to the Kelly Trail. There are some huge trees in that area though. I know the Pine Trees that were blocking the Old Paugus Trail a couple years ago were [a] gigantic [pain in the butt to navigate].

http://nhdfl.org/events-tours-and-programs/visit-nh-biodiversity/the-bowl.aspx