Killington and Pico, 2-11-2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Today was supposed to be the day of the Annual Thunderbolt Ski race on Greylock, but they must of gotten the same memo that I got.... (That winter has been postponed to July) so the usual routine of carrying snowshoes and using microspikes on the descent continues. We knew the Bucklin Trail was broken out, but had no first hand knowledge of the old A.T, aka the Sherburne trail to Pico and the LT/AT after that to Cooper lodge was broken or what.... and my sub 2lb Northern Lites aren't too overbearing....

Met up with Dan J (adkhighpeaks) and his friend Kyle at the trailhead across from the Inn at the Old AT. I mean Inn at the Long Trail and we shuttle into my car for the scoot down Wheelerville road. FYI, the Bucklin trail is ONLY accessibly from the Rt 4/Wheelerville road. The signs say that the "No Outlet" road is closed which I presume is the more direct route to Rutland if you continue down Wheelerville. Doesn't affect me cause I was going back to VT100.

Anyway, down low, the Bucklin trail was prettymuch snowfree, with patchs of ice that you didn't need anything on. The washout occurs just after about 10 minutes of hiking and is clearly marked with trees across the trail and pink/black ribbon which is easily followed. Its not a short walkaround and introduces a new P.U.D. to the trail but eventually you make your way back to the original trail just before it goes away from the brook and up the hill. Bridge over the brook is in fine shape.

Now the climb is a bit of snow but still nothing you really need any devices for other than a sense of humor about the date and lack of snow. Cooper lodge is a damm mess, no windows, broken glass all over the floor, garbage everywhere. It's quite disgusting, bad enough that idiots little, but broken beer bottles??? F'king sad. But the next .2 miles on the spur trail to the summit is fairly icy, could easily use the microspikes on the ascent here but so short, we just kick steps in. Had the summit to ourselves, took pictures, looked for ski bunnies, enjoyed the nice spring day, no wind for once on a VT peak (amazing!!!) so I just put my hat on and never put on anything more than 2 thin baselayers...

The trip north on the LT was hard crusty snow. I didn't feel ever the need to put on snowshoes, but you could if you felt the need to feel them on your feet, or if you wanted to look hardcore. (Yes, look at me, I have snowshoes!) Maybe break out your Austrian ice axe, signed by Arnold, or those 35-pt crampons, sharpened to a tee. I guess a lot of folks do Pico peak and then back out to rt 4, cause once we hit the fancy Pico shelter, the trail turned back to a highway. A quick lunch in the shelter with a bunch of other hikers we ran into, we climb the other .4 miles to the Pico summit and more ski bunnies that we try not to run into. More VT towers (is there any VT peak that doesn't have 1)microwave towers 2)Ski bunnies 3)Furniture stores 4)Cheese ? ) and we return to the Pico shelter which is a nice place, in fact, I would stay there.. clean, has windows, no drunken idiots to trash the place.... And then the 2.5 miles fast stroll to Kyle's car at rt 4. Wheeee...

Nice day, on and off clouds/sun/light flurries, some local views, not a lot of folks out other than our trip from Pico on. Some hard crusty ski snow when we merged with the ski area for like 50ft... 1 crazied spruce grouse who tried to assault us.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20120211KillingtonAndPico

Jay

Cooper pooper

Ya we had the same feeling about Cooper Lodge when we were there in December. But it sounds even worse now. Seems to be the trend with cabins and lodges located so close to Ski areas. It really needs to be moved downhill about another 1/2 mile or more along the LT/AT. Willing to bet your average garden variety vandal would not be willing to put forth the effort to get there if there is 'hiking' involved. It does not seem to be maintained at all at any rate and like vacant property anywhere, this lack of attention seems to invite abuse and vandalism.
Something's got to give...

The one problem with Cooper (at least now) is that somebody, probably with good intentions left a garbage bag in the corner.. Which is overflowing.. There is that attage that litter attracts litter and surely this is probably part of the problem. Because there is a garbage bag there, people feel that there is no "Carry it in, Carry it out" policy... so people use the garbage bag, bag overflows or is just messy and then people take to tossing bottles around the stone structure.
Surely, the GMC doesn't do maintenance as often as it would during the non-winter months (this season, notwithstanding) and it just becomes a problem. It wasn't this bad the last time I was there in Sept, about 5 years ago...

Compare that to the PICO shelter which frankly, is in pretty much immaculate condition. I did not see any trash, the windows are there, there is a latch on the door, etc. etc.

Jay