Killington (It’s closer than you think!) via Bucklin Trail 2/16/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Hike: Killington via Bucklin Trail

I was looking for a group going to some 4K to stay sharp for upcoming hike to Isolation. I received an email from Doublebow announcing his AMC hike to Killington still had some space informing me "It’s closer than you think". I took the bait and called to register. I focus mainly NH White Mountain so this was something different. The snack bar at the summit was a welcome change of pace too. It took time waiting for the party to assemble. I think the drive was new experience for most of us. Maybe it should have been advertised "It took longer than I thought!" - particularly the last part on Route 4. We weren’t sure what to expect on Wheelerville Road so we left cars at Killington Ski area and piled nine of us into two 4-wheel drive cars and proceeded to Bucklin TH. Wheelerville road was plowed, but is very narrow. The road was doable by 2-wheel drive, but we were glad we used our 4-wheel drives.

All this resulted in a late start of 10:00, so we proceeded up the trail at brisk pace to warm upand make up for lost time. It was cold out too. Car thermometer said 8 deg F, but not windy. The group all wore snowshoes for most of the hike. The Bucklin Trail follows a picturesque woodland road that follows the broad river valley with open hardwood forests for the first mile of so. The Trail crosses the river twice by some well constructed bridges so crossings aren’t a concern on this trail. The trail gently climbs some 600’ of elevation to the head of the valley where it crosses to the south side of the river by a bridge and begins to slab steeply up the south slopes. The rest of the hike up to summit ridge is steep climbing some 1500 feet in less than 1.5 mile. There is one stretch of trail just below summit ridge where it levels out, but that’s about it.

The spruce fir is somewhat open in summit ridge area and pale shade of blue used for the blazes, and fact that the trees were heavily coated with snow made it difficult to follow the trail. We briefly lost the Bucklin Trail in vicinity of the summit ridge, but soon crossed the Long Trail and we regained the Bucklin Trail shortly after the summit cone appeared up ahead of us.

The summit cone is steep sided and so is the trail to the summit. Fortunately the trail was snowy, but not too deep, so traction wasn’t a problem. It could have been a problem if the snow had been deeper or the trail was icy. I’ve seen a TR on VFTT by Early Bird of taking the Long Trail and approaching the summit by a ski trail. Maybe EB might chime in here with some instructions on how to do this?

Views were superb especially to this writer who’s had more than his share of viewless summits this winter. Killington stands well above the surrounding countryside and offers great views in all directions. Temps were slightly above 0 F with light breezes.

2977887730088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2313274040088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2822740250088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We enjoyed snacks at the summit snack bar (I particularly enjoyed my yummy hot chocolate with molten marshmellows! :D ) and headed down around 2:00 and made a rapid descent returning to the TH by around 4:30. Those of us with crampons put them on for the steep descent from summit cone.

Thanks to Ross and Sam for leading and planning this excellent excursion! They assembled a great group and we had a great time. Thanks to the weather Gods for blessing us with clear blue skies and 100 mile views.

Killington Picturess

Last edited:
Jazzbo said:
I’ve seen a TR on VFTT by Early Bird of taking the Long Trail and approaching the summit by a ski trail. Maybe EB might chime in here with some instructions on how to do this?

I'm not EB (nor do I play EB on television), but there are two mild bushwacks from the LT that will dump you out onto the ski trails, if I recall. The first one (which I did on my way back from Killington) is to bushwack uphill near the cleared out portion of the trail (I don't know if it was a blowdown patch or what, but heading southbound on the right there are sapplings and a few bigger trees left). This takes you to the top of the old Rams Head summit (no longer lift served).

Further southbound, if I'm not mistaken, you can bushwack to the top of Snowdon where the LT has the rock steps (which is probably a useless reference point this time of the year!).

Jazzbo said:
Hike: Killington via Bucklin Trail

The spruce fir is somewhat open in summit ridge area and pale shade of blue used for the blazes, and fact that the trees were heavily coated with snow made it difficult to follow the trail. We briefly lost the Bucklin Trail in vicinity of the summit ridge, but soon crossed the Long Trail and we regained the Bucklin Trail shortly after the summit cone appeared up ahead of us.

I’ve seen a TR on VFTT by Early Bird of taking the Long Trail and approaching the summit by a ski trail. Maybe EB might chime in here with some instructions on how to do this?

URL]

Hi Jazzbo,
I enjoyed your TR and am glad you had such a wonderful day. When I went we left two cars at the Hannafords knowing that the parking area for this trailhead was small. We also lost the trail around an open area near the summit ridge. Crossing over a downed tree to our right, we were able to spot the blue blazes and regain it.
As far as taking the ski trail over, I'd never done it before. My friends, Marge and her husband Bob knew the way best, but it seemed easy enough. I wouldn't even call it a bushwhack. When you get to Cooper Lodge pass parallel to the back side, right of the entrance. Go between it and the privy with the privy on your right and you'll be on what is a wide open area that looks like a trail and leads to the ski trails. (I'd never noticed this "opening" in the summer, and wondered how it seemed so obvious a trail now.) You'll see the skiers in less than a minute. Limbo under the out-of-bounds rope and your in; choose your route up. We had to time our crossing on the way up, but used a narrow lesser used trail for the way down. That is the way volunteers pack in mulch for the self composting privy there. I hope that might help other who venture out to this great winter peak.