Killington Peak w/ bluebird skies...1/17/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cragster

Reaction score
Trail(s): several ski trails starting at Skyeship parking lot

Summit(s): Killington Peak

Hiker(s): solo

My first posting! After years of using this site and all of the awesome knowledge it contains, I've finally sorted out my login info and have drafted up a trip report from my latest NE67 journey. Thanks to RickB. for the sponsorship!

After parking at the Skyeship lot around 9AM, I skinned up the Great Eastern Trail towards Bear Mountain.
IMG_20110117_091746.jpg

After heading around the outskirts of the Bear Mt. Parking Lot, I took the Bear Cub trail to the bottom of the South Ridge Triple chairlift. I took Pipe Dream for 100yds or so (under the lift) and immediately turned left onto Sassafras (very flat), then to Juggernaut (flat, but less flat), then Solitude.
IMG_20110117_114144.jpg

I took Blue Heaven (steeper, blue square), then Great Northern to the top of the summit gondola. I took the stairs up to the trail leading to the summit, which offered incredibly clear views in all directions (except for the antennas)--it was no surprise that the skies would be that clear given the -1 F at the base! FYI, the Catwalk ski trail was very "dirty" with bare spots and sheer ice--needs more snow. I reached the summit around 1pm, then headed to the summit lodge for a hot toddy before skiing down to my car.

Looking West toward Pico:
IMG_20110117_132213.jpg

IMG_20110117_132229.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing! Love the sun rays in the second one.

What range are we looking at (looking west) in the third picture? I've never hiked VT before...I pretty much only recognize NH mountains at this point in my hiking career, so forgive my ignorance.

Antennas are certainly not the greatest things to look at on a summit...but when they're covered with rime, they're pretty cool!

Karl,

The picture is looking Northwest towards Pico Peak (~3900'). I believe that the 2 smaller humps between Killington and Pico are Snowdon & Ramshead peaks (of Killington Ski Area), which are both lower at about 3600'. I'm not 100% sure about this, but it's the best I can do with the topo map I had and Google Maps. One supporting detail is the road that comes around the Eastern flank of Pico (left in the picture), very visible in the picture, along with some ski area buildings on top of the peak.

Not visible in the picture are what I believed to be Mts. Abraham & Ellen (other 4000'ers) and possibly Mansfield in the extreme distance since it was so clear. To the Northeast, I could clearly see either the Kinsmans and/or Franconia Ridge composed of Mts. Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette (South to North).

- Craig

Hey Craig,

Any chance you have pictures to the east of either the Kinsmans or the Franconia Ridge??? Would love to see what they look like from that far west!

Thanks,
Karl

Trail(s): several ski trails starting at Skyeship parking lot

Summit(s): Killington Peak

Hiker(s): solo
There was a thread about Killington a while ago. They showed a map and someone mentioned there was a hiking trail, but the maps did not seem to show it. :confused:

So, I assume when you walked up ski trails that no one hassled you for being a hiker?

There was a thread about Killington a while ago. They showed a map and someone mentioned there was a hiking trail, but the maps did not seem to show it. :confused:

So, I assume when you walked up ski trails that no one hassled you for being a hiker?

I had a thread going about info on it, as I was/just did it on Thursday morning. I went in on the Bucklin trail, which was nicely broken out by XC skiers. That is until you get to the summit connector trail which wasn't broken out at all. I tried and almost made it, but was a bit too much. I'll list more in my TR soon.

I had a thread going about info on it, as I was/just did it on Thursday morning. I went in on the Bucklin trail, which was nicely broken out by XC skiers. That is until you get to the summit connector trail which wasn't broken out at all. I tried and almost made it, but was a bit too much. I'll list more in my TR soon.
Actually, I meant from the ski area parking lot. But thanks for the update.

From the Skyeship base ... wow, that's the looooooong way, but what a fantastic ski down you must have had!

In your photo of Rams Head, Snowdon, and Pico, to the left beyond Pico is visible part of Blue Ridge mountain, a beautiful hike on the Canty Trail which goes to one summit with a lookout west to the Adirondacks. There's also a list summit which is a bushwhack.

Hey Craig,

Any chance you have pictures to the east of either the Kinsmans or the Franconia Ridge??? Would love to see what they look like from that far west!

Thanks,
Karl

Sorry, Karl, I only took pics w/ my eyes in that direction. It was quite cold that day and I took enough pics to just about kill my battery. Those things just don't hold their charge when they get cold.