King Ravine and the Five Adams 8/7/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
It was a beauty day with 130 mile visibility so I wanted to get high. Looked at my various projects and decided King Ravine warranted another trip, especially on a day like today. While I was at it, I would summit Adams. Then I thought, why not bag all the Adams. So that's what I did. The five Adams consist of: J. Q. Adams, Mt. Adams, Adams 5, Sam Adams and Abigail Adams (formerly known as Adams 4). It truly was a spectacular day!

Reaching the floor of King Ravine. The King Ravine trail goes up the rock gully seen above the signpost to the slabby area near the skyline.
P1130371.JPG

One of several lemon squeezers.
P1130388.JPG

A patch of ice still remains on the Ice Caves spur and the temp seemed 25 degrees cooler.
P1130391.JPG

Cairn and clouds.
P1130462.JPG

Getting high in the ravine.
P1130473.JPG

Lots of rocks to hop on.
P1130504.JPG

Getting higher still.
P1130526.JPG

As I was nearing the end of the King Ravine trail, I spotted a hiker on the Airline trail where King Ravine exits.
P1130545.JPG

Looking up the slab at a hiker above on the Airline.
P1130553.JPG

When I popped out on the Airline, there is a tremendous view of Mt. Madison.
P1130575.JPG

Brad Washburn's survey pin on the summit of J. Q. Adams, looking at Mt. Adams.
P1130601.JPG

The double summit of J. Q. Adams.
P1130615.JPG

To be continued........

Nearing the summit of Adams looking back at J. Q. Adams and Madison with Star Lake reflecting blue.
P1130624.JPG

From the summit of Adams 5 looking back at Mt. Adams.
P1130654.JPG

A look back at Adams 5 and Mt. Jefferson.
P1130671.JPG

Approaching the summit of Sam Adams with a view to Mt. Adams across a sea of rocks.
P1130697.JPG

The glacier dropped off this boulder on top of a larger boulder some 6-10 thousand years ago. That would have been a neat sight to see.
P1130714.JPG

The summit of Sam Adams looking at Mt. Adams.
P1130724.JPG

Approaching the newly named Abigail Adams which was formerly known as Adams 4.
P1130751.JPG

As I descend Lowe's Path and begin to wend my way back to the car, I take one last look back at the summits of Abigail Adams and Sam Adams. Just another great day in the White Mountains!
P1130765.JPG

I like the photo of Sam Adams lurking behind the ridge. Visiting all 5 of the Adams family sounds like a good way to maximize time above tree line. :)

Those Washburn Survey Pins looks like a good basis for a new list :rolleyes:

Cool shots, RMC's summer newsletter has some discussion of why ICE hangs around year round, its specific to Ice Gulch but much would apply to the Subway in Kings Ravine