lat/lon format converter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterM

Reaction score
I'm a bit stuck here. I'm pretty good at navigation - but find that the formats that lat/lon can be given in a bit frustrating. I use in my 2 gps units Degrees & minutes - but its common to find coordinates just in degrees. And back in Boy Scout days we learned of course by DMS.

I'd expect there to be an online converter, but cannot find one. I've checked with my 2 surveying - engineer friends - they know of no converter. Sure, I can sit down with a calculator & convert, but has anyone found what I'm looking for?

Thanks / Peter

JeEep.com

Is this what your looking for?

Translates coordinates (WGS-84, NAD-83, and NAD-27) to and from Latitude/Longitude and UTM. Also, if the location is within the conterminous 48 states, you'll get the converted coordinates for the other map datums.

Onestep

GPSes and most (all?) software allows you to specify a coordinate format, datum, and north reference for both (front panel textual) input and output. So just set it to match and you will be ok.

You can also use a GPS as a format converter: set the GPS to one format, input the coordinates as waypoints, change the format, and read out the cordinates in the new format.

FWIW, I use WGS-84, ddd mm.mmm, and true north. You should set everything to whatever suits your needs best--just make sure that you use the same setting on all of your gear (including your maps).

NMEA specifies the use of the WGS-84 datum (and I think also a coordinate format) for electronic transfer, so transfer between your computer and your GPS should be independent of the settings. (Warning--some GPSes violate the standards, so set them to WGS-84 if you suspect that you have a bad one.)

Doug

Last edited:
Onestep-

that looks like just what I've been looking for. I'm in the office now but plugged in lat 42 and lon -70 and it reads out the WGS82 conversions to DN and DMS near me. I just couldn't find a converter with all my Googling - I'm very appreciative. So much in fact that next weekend in the whites I'll cache u a present and send u the coordinates :- )

Peter
41 56.038e 70 42.981n

PeterM said:
I'm very appreciative. So much in fact that next weekend in the whites I'll cache u a present and send u the coordinates :- )

Glad I could help! I haven't been geocaching in a while :D

Onestep

converter

I use Corpscon for Windows at work. Your tax dollars at work, it's created and maintained by the US Army Corps of Engineers. I noticed there's a new release. I just downloaded it. I've been using v 5.11.08 for quite some time. I you are familiar with corrdinate systems it should make sense for the input format and the output format.