Layering Question for Winter Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
Well, actually 2 :)

First, for lower body gear. For winter hiking, does it make sense to get a midweight or heavyweight closest to body layer?

Second, I have liner gloves and and some windstopper gloves as well. What should I look for in a pair of overmitts? These are supposed to be worn over my liners and gloves?

Thanks

It all depends on your metabolism and conditioning. For example, I break out in a sweat peeling an orange, but i can slog along for miles. When I hike, I wear a light base layer- Patagonia Regulator .5- and a thin mid layer- Patagonia 1 bottom and 2 top- followed by a soft shell- Marmot ATV pants and Patagonia stretch demension jacket. I can move down the trail at my own pace and stay dry and warm. When I take a break, I throw a DAS parka over top of the whole mess and am really comfortable. As for gloves and shells, watch getting things too tight. I need to wear really thin liners with a pile/shell mitten combo- OR pro mittens- or I actually get cold fingers from the tightnes. I always wear liners so If I want to make some hot drink or fidle with gar, my bare hands are not touching metal, etc. As you can see I am a convert to the soft shell system and cannot say enough good things about it. I am one of those that feels that if it is a downpour, maybe you should have stayed home instead. My problem is finding a hat or hats that will keep my head warm AND dry. :D

For the lower body, I like a thin layer next to the skin. Also full side zips. On the uphills, legs can produce a lot of heat, and you want to be able to ventilate and get the heat and sweat out.

For the hands, I second mediclimber's comment. I have borderline Raynaud's, and anything even slightly tight on the hands makes my fingers go numb in just a few minutes, even in temps like 40F. Loose liners and windstoppers are good. (Overmitts go on the outside.)

In overmitts, look for good waterproofing. Again, I second medi on the soft shell stuff; it's good almost all the time. But on hands and feet, I want hard shell, waterPROOF, no questions. Always have hands in snow, grabbing branches, etc. Very easy to get wet, and then the nonwaterproof gloves are shot. Also, always bring a spare pair, maybe 2. They're weightless and they compress to nothing, and you'll miss them if you don't have them when your primary handwear gets wet.

As far as insulation, it depends on the temps, and on your hands. If your hands get cold easily, or if you're planning a really cold trip, consdier mittens rather than gloves. They're a little fumbly for climbing, but for straight hiking they're OK. Also, chemical hot packs. Weightless, take up no space, and they change the whole picture!

TCD

Dundare,
As mediclimber mentioned, I also start perspiring quickly and am a warm hiker.
I have found that when I am planning on a climb or a day of hiking, I can subsist well on wearing running tights and a thermax zip t-neck under my shell jacket and nothing else. I normally don't throw on my goretex pants until I am close to tree line or on a ridge. At that time, I will also probably put on my ~200 weight fleece and my jacket as well. I always keep a pair of 200 weight fleece pants in my pack as well as my down jacket - so I always have the option of throwing "everything" on

For my head, I usually carry 3 items besides a very thin layer balaclava for sleeping, They are a 200 weight polartec balaclava to wear above treeline or when I am cold, a fleece headband that I wear all other times, and then my goretex bomber cap with liner that Sardog recommends.

For my hands. I have very thin liner gloves that I keep around for camp chores and for starting out hiking, otherwise, I usually wear nothing or just my goretex overmitts over my hands. I have a pair of windblock gloves, which are great, and come out at treeline. I also keep a pair of mittens with me (they go with the overmitts) as I find them extremely valuable as they offer much more warmth than gloves.
(I don't mind carrying a few extra things in my pack in the winter.)

So, in a nutshell, my layers are light, midweight and shell. I break out heavyweight when standing around camp. (and I always sit or stand on a piece of scuffed up reflectex or a piece of old foam pad.) However, some friends hike all day long in their base layer and a midweight layer and never break a sweat. The best thing is to go for some local winter hikes and see what you are comfortable in.
Good Luck

I agree with Rick. For almost all my winter trips I just wear heavy cycling tights with nylon shorts on my legs. On top is a light polypro with a lightweight nylon type jacket(actually Dupont silmond). Polypro glove liners are usually enough on the hands. A lightweight lycra type balaclava either covers my face or gets rolled up onto my head. The other stuff is in a stuff sack or pack compartment where it is easily reachable when stopping, approaching treeline or entering an area with lots of wind exposure. I really get a kick out of seeing people arrive at the trailhead with all kinds of layers of goretex this and fleece that only to be sweating like a pig in a short distance and taking it all off to carry it the rest of the trip. If you keep moving you need very little to stay warm. The other stuff is only needed for emergencies or certain situations. All of the other info is good. You need to get out with others on short trips and dial in what keeps you comfortable.

Well, I have 0 friends who like to hike with the exception of my wife and she hates the cold :)

I will be doing the Southeastern MA AMC chapter winter hiking series this year and then will be doing largely solo stuff though I am a very very cautious hiker. This year I have in mind trips to Greeley Ponds, Zealand Hut, Mount Tecumseh, and Ethan Pond in addition to the AMC trips to mounts Tom, Potash, and Nauman Tentsite and possible peakbagging after that.

I am a long way away from attempting above treeline travel in the winter...

Due to a couple bouts of frostbite and being in a landslide that did a job on the nerves in my hand, I always set out on a winter trip with four layers of hand covering:
-- silk liner gloves
-- fleece gloves
-- wool mittens
-- Gortex overmits
Notice the mixture of gloves and mittens.

I only use all four of them in extreme circumstances but it is nice to be prepared.

dundare said:
Well, actually 2 :)

First, for lower body gear. For winter hiking, does it make sense to get a midweight or heavyweight closest to body layer?

Second, I have liner gloves and and some windstopper gloves as well. What should I look for in a pair of overmitts? These are supposed to be worn over my liners and gloves?

Thanks