Lead Snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake Doc

Reaction score
I hiked the Rocky Branch trail on Saturday with about 10 inches of wet, sticky, heavy snow in Tubbs showshoes and it felt like I had 20 pound weights on each foot. Of course the sun was out and the temperature was about 40 degrees. The snow was just sticking to the snowshoes on the top and the bottom. I ended up barebooting and it was easier. My friend had the MSR Katadin snowshoes and had a much easier time of it. The snow did not seem to be sticking to her snowshoes nearly as much. Have other people found this to be the case as well? Is there a solution like spraying the snowshoes with Pam Cooking Spray or something similar?

Any advice?

Pam should work, at least for a time. It's often used on ski bindings as anti-snow coating but there are specially made products as well. An entire snowshoe might not work very well, I've never tried it.

try ski wax--

Swix F-4 or Glide wax works well to keep snow from sticking to skis / snowshoes at temps around the freezing level

Pete

The ski wax and the Pam would work good. I use a basic generic brand spray-on cooking oil (garlic flavored!!!!) on my Sherpas in the warmer temps. As mentioned already, doesn't last forever and the little glide wax on the bindings (such as the Swix F-4) would work and the applicators are pretty small and easy enough to take with you.

Jay

A silcone spray used to treat snowthrower blades works quite well.

A more permanent solution is to take an old milk jug and make anti-bot plates for your snowshoe crampons. Pam does work for a time, but you will have to bring along the can.

-percious

percious said:
A more permanent solution is to take an old milk jug and make anti-bot plates for your snowshoe crampons. Pam does work for a time, but you will have to bring along the can.

-percious

Only problem is that the snow sticks to more than just the crampon so spray out the whole shoe, top and bottom. Spray on car wax also is good.

carole said:
Only problem is that the snow sticks to more than just the crampon so spray out the whole shoe, top and bottom. Spray on car wax also is good.

Agree - when I whacked the show with my trekking pole, three inch thick pieces of compressed snow fell off in the shape of my entire shoe...
Not complaining - it was great workout for my ankle sprain! :eek: