Licensed Amateur Radio Operators?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N1ESE for ID :)

Haven't carried a rig while hiking in a long time but plan on doing so probably this spring. I haven't been interested in repeater activity much since I was a novice back in 1989. Currently, I'm interested in ultra-light portable QRP HF operations, digital and CW. My goals for this winter is to build a very light weight PSK station and activate some peaks with it this spring.

I have a Yaesu FT-817 that is really a very neat rig for that kind of work. I have used it to talk back to CT and have also used it on 40 meters to talk all around New england when I am in the back country. It will do all the modes but will need an extra "box" to do portable PSK. PSK is a very, very cool mode though. :cool: I have used it often.

And the KX1 and K1 are very neat rigs for CW.

Keith

I have a Yaesu FT-817 that is really a very neat rig for that kind of work.
Yup, I've owned an FT-817 for several years and it is a fine rig. However, for my future trail work, it's a bit heavier than what I would like to carry on the trail. This new rig I am planning will be a homebrew monoband rig, 20M most likely, and I'll likely use a PDA for the PSK terminal. It will be much lighter, and do to lower power consumption, I will not have to carry as heavy of a battery.

For CW only ops who backpack, one can't beat the ATS-3B rig from Steve Weber, KD1JV. Steve is an avid hiker of the AT here in New England and designed this radio with backpacking in mind.

Does anyone know if the AMC Huts are operating within the Amateur Radio Bands. KC1AEL
73's Clear.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the AMC Huts are operating within the Amateur Radio Bands. AC1AEL 73's Clear.

I think they're on the same frequencies as the rangers. Around 170 MHz or so if I remember right, and there's a CTCSS tone involved, too. I googled it a while back, but can't remember where exactly I found the frequencies and tones. I don't think they'd be allowed to use amateur bands, as they're working and the FCC frowns on such things.

KC1ACQ