Lincoln and Lafayette - June 28, 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamoore63

Reaction score
Did the classic Falling Waters, Franconia Ridge, Greenleaf, Old Bridle Path loop. Although it never rained, the trails were very wet. Falling Waters was even wetter than usual, making for a rather slippery go at points. (First time I've been up the trail since Irene and I assume the heavily washed out areas date from that storm.) Although the cascades were roaring nicely, we had no problems with the stream crossings. Similarly no issues on any trails with blowdowns.

In spite of a maximum 100' (usually more like 50') visibility going across the ridge, we had no problems following either Franconia or Greenleaf (mostly because I'm so familiar with the twists and turns of those trails, but partly because we had Cardigan the Mountain Dog with us and even though she's never been up there before, she has an unerring instinct for staying right on the trail).

One result of the rain is that the pond below Greenleaf has flooded right over the trail. You can work through it on rocks without filling your boots but care is required!

One negative note: some [insert favorite expletive here] decided to have a dump right next to the trail in a little pit beneath that strangely twisted tree on Old Bridge Path maybe a couple of tenths of a mile from Falling Waters. Left the t.p. right there and made no effort to bury or cover it. There's a special place in hell reserved for people like that...