Lincoln brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rejean

Reaction score
Saturday with a friend I will hike the Lincoln slide down and bushwack
to Owls head.

Some know how high is the Lincoln Brook at the base of the Lincoln Slide
or near it?

Thanks in advance.

If the Lincoln slide is the one on the standard herd path we were unable to get across on Friday 4/2/10. We did manage to get across Liberty Brook with on some rocks that were 1-2" above the water. I suspect if the warm weather has continued it will be just as bad if not worse.

We probably could have gotten across with some heroics but it was around 12-1pm and we were concerned with the river getting even higher while we were on the wrong side. By the time we had gotten back to Liberty Brook the rocks that were 1-2" above the water were now 1-2" below the water.

The Lincoln Slide is literally the slide off the backside of Lincoln, starting just below Franconia Ridge and dropping down into the woods. From there you would still have to cross Lincoln Brook to get to Owl's Head and its slide (or any other route).

The Lincoln Slide is literally the slide off the backside of Lincoln, starting just below Franconia Ridge and dropping down into the woods. From there you would still have to cross Lincoln Brook to get to Owl's Head and its slide (or any other route).

I think that Rejean understands the route, but is simply asking how high the water might be at the Lincoln Brook crossing at the moment. Tim's link to our favorite USGS hydrograph (for the East Branch), which we consider a bellweather for the Whites, has been reading between 2000 and 3000 cfs for the past couple of weeks (see cool diurnal flow signal from earlier this week). From my own experience, whenever this hydrograph is reading higher than 1500 - 2000 cfs, you are not likely to get across Lincoln Brook, as well as other major crossings in the Whites such as Little River on the N Twin Trail, without getting your feet wet. So, time to bring a pair of flip flops or sneakers, along with a good walking stick and knowledge about stream crossing safety (search old VftT threads). When the East Branch hydrograph reaches 4000 - 5000 cfs, I usually consider crossings such as Lincoln Brook not worth the risk.