Livermore, Chocorua, Jackson XC, Potash, March 14-17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
Unbelievable weather this weekend. The last week in the Whites has been a high point of the year, and it was beautiful. Too warm, but bluebird sunny all day, for several straight. Will add photos as possible, since the views told the story this time.

Snaps to "MarkL" for the offer to team up, but our agendas mismatched just enough. Maybe next time, though! Would love to hear how it went for you.

Saturday afternoon, Lily Pond, Upper Livermore Road: Despite there being a road through it, I really love this spot. The Upper Nanamocomuck Ski Trail was passable, with a breakable crust. The snow bridges throughout the area are either gone or going. Upper Livermore Trail toward Livermore Pass was beautiful, open, skiable, with views of Carrigain & Signal Ridge. Side roads were brushy (took a lot in the face this trip), but gorgeous in the waning sun. Sunlit snow was cement-y soft, shaded snow was crusty fast, transitions kept the knees bent.

Sunday, Champney Falls, Chocorua: Revelation. Standing atop this peak in short sleeves and crampons, with a clear winter view of every thing, was a powerful and spiritual event, much more so even than anticipated (and I had had high hopes, saving this one for perfect conditions). The Mount Washington Valley is propped up as if for closer viewing, held there for you like a gift in a huge hand. Pinkham Notch looks high, compared with Chocorua's base elevation (photo). Agiocochook was "Chrystall" sugary all along the ridge, and Lafayette made the far counterpoint. Everything fell into place in beautiful detail, and I even saw a rounded snowy hump peeking over the Tripyramids; it must have been Mooselauke to be so tall, round & white. Everything is melting out fast. The scrambly route at the very top is fun, exposed, and breath-taking. It would not be so beautiful in foul weather. Having just finished Belcher's Logging Railroads book, I really wanted a guided tour, and this view confirms a philosophy that I like: it's rivers, as much as peaks, that drive topography. I also noticed that my internal compass was a bit skewed from true north, and I thought the Ossipees would be more to the left. Always adjusting to the new reality. Enjoyed fresh snow-melt for drinking water at the summit (it was running like sap).

Champney Falls fits into a compelling niche on this hike, and there was an ice-lip on the far side that granted entry to the falls' exit chute only to those with ice gear or friends to boost them up. Laden with skis & pack and otherwise alone (and lacking a hand-hold), I opted to retreat to the main trail. Just as I exited, two groups of climbers appeared. They'd have had fun fer sure, but I didn't burden them with my safety.

Skiing out at the end was tremendous, barring the continual face-slaps from the whips too numerous to dodge. I mostly did well, but one branch caught on my snow-shoes (strapped up on the pack) and whipped around to catch me right under the eye. I was lucky, but it took a few minutes just to get my hand off my face and open up my eye. It was fine. Whew! I met a skier and a boarder heading up in the late afternoon, but the corn was pretty mushy. Maybe it firmed up for them, but I don't think so. I also continue to struggle with having legs enough at the end of the day to really enjoy the trail, but I did much better this time. For me, the biggest obstacle to tele and quick turns isn't technique (despite how bad I am), it's fitness. The sustained knee-drop really demands a lot from my tall old legs. And I'm a beginner at free-heel downhill.

This peak hardly needs recommendation, but if you haven't been there, save it for the blue-bird weather and it will more than live up to expectations. It will also anchor mental mapping, as views-from are as informative as views-of (http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28724). This peak also illustrates why arbitrary terms like 4000 just don't always add up to diddly: at 3475 feet, this one has as much elevation gain, challenge, view, and story as almost any other White Mountain focus. It goes right into its top-ten place on my list.

Monday, Jackson XC Touring Center: "Going, going, gone" is how the snow was described (somewhat after the fact), and it's true, unless they either get the temps down or get more snow. I also found myself asking "Is that all?", but I'm sure there's challenge aplenty up the valley on the more demanding trails. I did the Wildcat Valley Ski Trail down to Dana Place last year, but it was snowing, so no views. The views this time up into Carter Notch were bright, blue heaven (photo). Ditto for Washington, which was still fresh in my mind from the previous day. The big advantage of skiing at a touring center is the wide-open, groomed trails. I could practice my turns and enjoy the easy skiing. "The Wave" was fun, and would be more fun if firmer. Try the "Betty Whitney" ("Whitney Gilman," I called it) trail. Redemption lies in a good workout.

Tuesday, Church Pond Loop denied, Potash Mountain logging road: Crossing the now-swelled Swift River at the snowed-in Passaconaway Campground was impossible, despite bushwhacking up-river for still-frozen crossings, but it was not to be, so I skied up the logging road that intersects the Mt. Potash Trail. As the fourth day of skiing, it was perfect: wide, corny, and just steep enough to gain a little speed on the descent. The road tops out about a mile up-hill, in a beautiful, open cul-de-sac with views up toward the peak (photo). Skiing down was the perfect opportunity to work on technique. Bad news: I suck. Good news: there's hope for the future. Fell once real good, otherwise completed actual turns with real, weight-shifting action! I was momentarily proud of myself and avoided getting smushed by cars on the road-walk back.

Plugs for the deserving:

The Mountain Wanderer, where I met "JR" (?), who had just completed his winter bushwhack of the 48. I also met Mike Dickerman, who's hiked a couple of the trails around the area, too. Owner Steve Smith always has a good book, and this time it was "Our Mountain Trips (Part II)," by James, Butterfield & James. You can meet people like this on the trails, but not quite so easily. And the books are good too.

Elvios Pizza, Lincoln: good pizza, good sub the next day.

Moat Mountain Brewery: go-to spot, good food.

Upstairs Cafe, NConway: they try hard, it's mellow, the food is good.

Jackson Ski Touring Foundation: good trails, well-groomed, interesting layout, God's own terrain. Teensy cavil: just too precious. All of Jackson strikes me this way. Storybookey-fairy-taley-makes-ya-wanna-hug-someone precious. Nothing a good nor'easter wouldn't cure if you were out in it.

NH plow guys: hell of a job, every time. Take a look at the guard-rails on the upper Kanc the next time it snows.

Limmer's: went in for a resole. They happen to have a pair of 3-pins on consignment right now, in very-good condition. They were just a bit small for me, but I was tempted. Took them for a spin in the yard, right past the home-made snowmobile jump.​

This was a tremendous trip, a real high-point, and I highly recommend all the routes I enjoyed. I wish the best to those less fortunate (including the injured and hurting) and say a tearful goodbye to winter. Maybe one more visit to Hermit Lake before the last ski is done, but winter is otherwise leaving the sandbox.

Barring that possible Tuck's day in May, next stop is a June hike. Would be very interested in a guided forestry hike; maybe we'll put one together.

C & R, ya blew it, it was epic! Hoping what you did instead was worth it!

--Mike.

Nice report! I've seen a lot of people skiing the trails this winter and this practice has made my kid get out more on his snowboard. Sounds like you had a nice mini-vacation. Back when you contemplated the snow conditions last week, you mentioned Livermore Pass. Because of that, I got 'Livermore' stuck in my brain, leading me to do the Tripyramids over the weekend. I probably would not have thought to repeat the Tripys if not for your Livermore insinuation. Thanks!

Great report. Chocorua was my first White Mountain hike, and life will not be complete unless I get up there again real soon.

And if you think you ski badly, you'd feel much better if you saw me sometime. My turning ability consists of coming to a complete stop (intentionally or otherwise) and then re-pointing my skis in the right direction.