Long distance shot, Franconia's from Starr King

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
I'm working at the rule of 1/3's. Any input as to whether or not I got it here? I'm finding that taking good picture's isn't as easy as some of you make it look. Thanks for the input,

Bobby

Camera: Canon Powershot A540
Shooting Mode: Auto
Shutter Speed: 1/1250
Aperture Value: 5
Focal Length: 7.9mm
Flash: Off
White Balance: Auto

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2308599470094243606YyeNlw

The snowy trees in the foreground are well-lit and nicely arranged so their tops fall along the lower third-line (rather, the horizon behind them does, which tricks us into thinking that they do). The top of the clouds is about on the upper third-line too. And you've placed Mt Lafayette exactly only the lower left intersection-of-thirds.

This is an example where maximizing the number of elements that adhere to the rule of thirds may not be the best way to compose the shot. To me, the upper third of blue sky is too plain to hold interest, and the middle third of clouds, while much better, isn't heart-stopping either. All the action is in the bottom one-third, so I'd think about cropping to maximize the interesting stuff.

If you had a really compelling subject at the lower-left intersection, a plain blue sky wouldn't matter, in fact it would make a nice contrast. But in this shot Lafayette is too small to fill that role, and too blurry (might be focus, might be camera motion, might be haze - my guess is all three). You can fix the size problem with a tighter crop, you'll still have the blur but not every shot can be an award-winner (and a little blur on a distant mountain just makes it look mysterious). I'd crop through the middle of the top band of clouds, and then crop away a little of the right end (maybe through the middle of the gap, just left of the dead branch at the bottom edge). I think you can end up with Mt Lafayette near the upper left interstection, and every part of the picture will have something interesting going on.

Something to notice for next time - you've got just a bit of a dead twig coming in from lower left. Feel free to move that out of the way before you snap the photo.

Yes, you got the Rule of Thirds right, largely, and applied it. Thus we have about two thirds empty sky and one third real subject.

This picture would have been better served by having the snow-laden trees in the foreground occupy two thirds of the frame and the sky just one third. Try cropping just above the treetops, and see if that makes a more interesting photo (be honest, now).

Note that all cropping does not have to occur strictly in the camera -- the "frames" that camera manufacterers give us are not necessarily ideal for the pictures we take. For perspective on this, talk to old geezers who worked in the medium format of availibility -- 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 inches square -- 40 years ago.

I am one of them.

The viewfinders in my old Mamya C-330s (square format cameras) are gridded off to show where the negative will crop to vertical or horizontal 8 X 10 (that is, 4 X 5 -- aka "golden rectangle") print proportions. And that was only a starting point. (And don't let yourself be constrained by the pre-cut mat makers, either, when it comes to cropping for best composition!)

In my view, cropping to a long, narrow horizontal image is the best way to visually improve the well exposed and lit shot that you have linked us to. By the way, the whole series you shot along this vein is nicely exposed and the lighting very nicely coveys the sense of a cold, wintery day in the mountains.

In looking at your batch of photos, “# 19 of 35” also is an interesting photo when cropped so the primary horizon line (mountains skyline) is about two-thirds up from the bottom of the frame. Number “16 of 35” tends to flop no matter how you crop it, but “#15 of 35” is interesting because the foreground subject clearly dominates with interesting details and textures.

By now, you should get the gist of what I’m driving at: pick one aspect of the scene to act as a dominant feature, then compose/crop to make that vision a clear statement.

Thanks for sharing your photos. They illuminated my evening on this first day of Daylight Saving Time 2007.

G.

Last edited:
I agree with the previous post for the cropping and framing.

As for focus, I think the mountain is just too far out of it. You may want to experiment with your camera to get more depth of field (I also have a Powershot). Take it out of "Auto" mode and use semi-automatic mode and set the aperture down (I think you set the mode dial to "Av" - check the manual). Of course the camera will then set the exposure time to be longer. So you must also use something to steady the camera. Since I will assume you would not lug a tripod up there, try steadying the camera on a trekking pole or something. When I know blurring will be an issue, I sometimes take a number of shots and concentrate each one steady, steady, steady. Some will be good, some won't.

You have a good subject, with a little this and that you can improve the image.

As my father-in-law would say in golf, "you hit it on the screws". Yes, you got the rule of thirds exactly right. It fits. And I think it's a nice shot.

But also I agree with Grumpy & Papa Bear's posts about cropping & framing, also. Make the foreground the 2/3rd's, lending the sky as the upper third. You might push the contrast alittle and see what happens - might darken the blue sky alittle. This will make it better.

Hey, thanks so much for sharing your photos, and for braving through some constructive criticism. You've thinking it through and I think that's great. It took me forever to finally understand this rule. I still have photos where I forget and put the subject in the center. Photo editting sw has become my friend... :)

Great to see this skyline, as I've been home spring-cleaning, troubleshooting cars and rebuilding my PC. I would have rather been up on a ridge today! ;-)

Best wishes,

--- Mike

Papa Bear said:
I agree with the previous post for the cropping and framing.

As for focus, I think the mountain is just too far out of it. You may want to experiment with your camera to get more depth of field (I also have a Powershot). Take it out of "Auto" mode and use semi-automatic mode and set the aperture down (I think you set the mode dial to "Av" - check the manual). Of course the camera will then set the exposure time to be longer. So you must also use something to steady the camera. Since I will assume you would not lug a tripod up there, try steadying the camera on a trekking pole or something. When I know blurring will be an issue, I sometimes take a number of shots and concentrate each one steady, steady, steady. Some will be good, some won't.

You have a good subject, with a little this and that you can improve the image.

One of my cameras is also a powershot, you should also be able to up the ISO which will allow you to shoot smaller apertures (larger number=smaller opening=more depth of field=less light=longer exposure). On a bright day like that you should be able to get good shots at ISO 400.

Kevin

Bobby, I enjoyed the whole album. There are scenes from a beautiful day in the mountains, with clear skies, snow-laden trees, wildlife and even human interaction with wildlife. You've created images that capture and explain things. Yes!!!

Now, rules...The critiques so far are full of helpful tips which you are seeking. I notice that posters have explained the 3rds rule, and also that it's ok to stray. I agree. These rules are good to know at first, but will eventually become pointless. Keep shooting and sharing!