Long Trail 12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely recommend finishing before Late August when the college student group tirps start filling lots of shelters.

Although if you see a college group in the shelters, you would certainly be in the right to remind them that their orientation trip leaders have been told over and over again to not use the shelters on their trips. Same goes for boyscouts and camp groups. The GMC works with all their trip planners (especially the college groups) to really emphasize the Leave No Trace principles, with special regard to the "be courteous to other people and respect the wilderness setting" idea. Part of that, and I know this gets brought up with the orientation trip planners every year, is that the big groups should use those big tents that they have, rather than filling shelters.

In recent years, what I've seen is groups using the shelter as a base - but with no one or just a couple sleeping in the shelter. It still alters the experience of the trail and I prefer to avoid it, as do the few people I've talked to. There are places where you have to stay at or very near shelters if you are to respect use regulations and private land agreements.

Last edited:
Got my e2e guidebook in the mail so Im onto the planning stage. Im trying to avoid most of the shelters and such and will try to tent as much as possible.

I don't want to hijack the thread here, nor act like a grumpy law enforcer, but if you see groups doing that the only way to combat that behavior is to let them know it's a pain in the butt for other hikers to deal with it. Or see if their camp/college/etc. has been in contact with GMC's group outreach person, who helps coordinate a lot of these trips in order to keep the groups at places where there's plenty of space for them to tent out of the way of the shelters.

There are a lot of shelter haters out there, but I'll definitely defend some of the shelters as a pretty wonderful experience for hiking in Vermont. Stratton Pond, Butler, Skyline... they're such cool shelters, I almost get sad when I pass by them without sleeping in them. :)

Figured out my window for hiking. Im planning on 26 days. I have to be back by the August 22 at the absolute latest to start classes. Trying to line it up so I can finish with my wife on the trail with me. and we can have an easy out with the car since we wouldn't have too terribly far of a drive
Looking like Tuesday July 24th and should be able to finish by August 17th.

I did my E2E southbound last summer during the same weeks that you have planned. I started at Journey's End road trailhead late in the afternoon on July 29th and got into Williamstown before noon on August 23rd (26 days).

I had one zero-day in Rutland and I stayed off trail three nights - 1 in Stowe, and 2 at the Inn at Long Trail.

I had good weather; a little rain, but I missed the heat wave in mid-July that took a toll on the folks that were on the trail at that time.

I see you've found the Long Trail forum at WhiteBlaze.net. Good information there.

-Steve