looking for partner to climb 46 adirondack peaks this winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splitchard

Reaction score
I am looking for at least one other person to climb the 46 high peaks in the Adirondack mtns this upcoming winter (from December 21st until March 21st). I am living around Albany, NY and currently attending SUNY Albany for graduate work. I checked with the ADK and they said that hiking these peaks in one winter has been done before, but only by a handful of people. I am very experienced with winter climbing and I have climbed a number of the Adirondack and Catskill mtns (Marcy, Gothics, Coldin, Ampersand, Slide, etc) and I also climbed 11,237ft Mt Hood in Oregon. I would also be interested in climbing at least some of the 46 peaks. If there are any questions please don't hesitate to email me. I think that this would be an AWESOME trip and a great way to become an Adirondack Winter 46er!!!!
Rich

You'll need more than 1 partner to break some of those trails after a snow storm.

Add me to your list, but I'm not committed to all 46 in a single winter (I have 5 winter 4000 footers from last season and expect to maybe climb 5-10 more this season).

Midweek partner!

Hi Rich!
I also live near Albany (so we could car pool!). Having done most of the 46 solo in the winter, I would greatly enjoy company! I usually make the trip north once a week but typically not on weekends.

Would you be available and interested in hiking midweek? Let me know.

Inge Aiken
283-7749

Welcome Rich!

I will be working this list more diligently in the future, too. I only have about 15 right now in winter. I work for a pro sports team so my winters are rather difficult to bag lots-o-peaks, plus I'm into the ice climbing thing now, but would welcome some new additions to winter aspirants.

Inge, hope you are doing well! I look forward to getting together with you for some winter climbs this year. I will be able to do a few weekday climbs with you so email me when you make plans this winter.

Hi Rich!
Welcome to Albany! My MBA's from Suny. I'm a W46R & agree whole-heartedly that you'll want MORE than 1 other for winter hiking in the Adirondacks. Minimum of 4 is usually recommended. If you haven't already hooked up with the ADK, there are lots of W46ers (& aspiring) across Albany, Schenectady & Glens Falls chapters. It's a relativelyeasily jump on a group of 'potential trailbreakers' & assist in the effort. :)
Inge's a little fast for me , but I'm thinking about working on another round. We'll see. HEY INGE!, for the time being I'm available mid-week. After this sprained ankle heals up, maybe we can get out sometime?
-Patti

Last edited:
Me too

I'm also planning to climb up to 20 of the 4K's this winter. But I'm a slow climber.

Inge, The beautiful February day that I met you coming off Cliff must have been a rare weekend trip for you! -ALGonquin Bob

I'd be interested in some winter high peaks this upcoming season. I hiked my first 4 winter high peaks last winter, and really came to appreciate the beauty of winter hiking. Like AlG, I'm a relatively slow hiker. I also want to try out my new backcountry skis.

Last edited:
Midweek trips!

Hi Patti! It is great to hear from you and I hope that ankle heals in a hurry. Let me know when you are ready to hit the trail.

Fred, I look forward to hearing when you need a midweek break too!

It would be great to get a group out for some midweek hiking and laughing!!

Bob, it was a rare day on Cliff! I look forward to more of the same.

If anyone is interested in midweek trips, don't hesitate to give me a shout! We could share rides or broken trails, as well as good company.

Inge

:)

I just finished my non winter 46 and want to work on my winter 46. I have done Giant and Rocky Ridge in the winter and want to do more winter hiking this year. I am not in a position to do 44 in one winter but am ready willing and able to tackle more than a few.

Man, you're making me wish I were living back in NY. I'd do this in a heartbeat!

I bagged Santanoni and Panther last winter (my only two winter 46ers to date)...but have to go up that way again anyway to grab Couchie, so I'd be happy to do all 46 in one season.

Well, if my situation changes (e.g., I move back from CA), I'll let you know.

Hope you get to do this this winter.

You got your one more person. I'll be out there getting a few more this winter also. I have 14 right now. Just let me know if you need an extra body.

Midweek Winter 46R List

Please let me know if you would like to be included on our list of people interested in climbing the 46 this winter.

It may help if you include a list of peaks that you are planning to do this winter and any other criteria helpful in matching climbers with trips.

Here's to hoping we have another safe and adventurous climbing season!

Inge:)

We've got our sights set on the winter 46er goal too but it'll take more than a year. Just make sure you post in advance when you're heading out so we can arrange meets and decide on mountains.
As previously mentioned sharing the trailbreaking duties with others will be a big help.

climbing the 46 this winter

Hello everyone,
It seems as if it might be difficult to get a couple partners who want to climb all 46 peaks this winter, but it seems like there are a bunch of people interested in climbing at least some of them, so I am hoping that I can get enough trips worked out with other climbers to get the 46 done. Around mid-January I should be free to climb anytime during the week. My phone number is 845-594-2414. Here's hoping to climbing a lot this winter!
Rich

-Inge - it sounds as if you are interested in climbing a lot of the peaks this winter (mid-week trips sound good to me), so you can count me in on pretty much most if not all of them since I want to get all of the 46 this winter. I have your phone number, so I will be giving you a call. My phone number is given above.

sounds like a plan!

OK Rich!
And if you or anyone else is interested in midweek trips don't hesitate to ask what I'm thinking about for that week.

Looking forward to a fall season that will be drier than this past soggy season! :) Until then, Inge

winter peaks...

I would be happy to get with some of you people for some winter fun... Post whenever you know the when's and where's
let it snow!

Pinpin's Jr WINTER

Hi Snowice and other in this list

It was my plan to joint You last week, but some troubles with my house....and I can confirme only this morning.

YES!!!! put my name in this list!

It is my plan to hike th 46 peaks this winter and We need a lote more of one time....

In a few time We will give more information what peaks and when to continue the ultime goal!!!!!

If one or more need partner for this fall We hike 11 peaks last weekend and now We need the 35 other....

Pinpin Jr.;) ;)