Lost Hiker Statute

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Reaction score
Dave, I'm not trying to reopen the closed thread, but can anyone give me the code section for the statute? I take it this is a New Hampshire law?
It's an interesting concept which I haven't heard of before.
Thanks.

TomD said:
can anyone give me the code section for the statute?

If you mean the so-called "reckless hiker" statute, it's RSA 153-A:24. It falls under the more general rubric of "Recklessly or intentionally
creat[ing] a situation requiring an emergency response." Hiking is not specifically mentioned although a few egregious cases--nighttime "sixpack-cellphone" hikes ending in search-and-rescues of unprepared inebriated hikers--have been referred to the NH AG, I recall.

Yep, that's it. I also found an article on it on a NH hiking site by doing a Yahoo search. We could use something like it in CA. People wander around here all the time without a clue and have to get rescued. Must cost a fortune in helicopter time alone.
Thanks.

TomD said:
Yep, that's it. I also found an article on it on a NH hiking site by doing a Yahoo search. We could use something like it in CA. People wander around here all the time without a clue and have to get rescued. Must cost a fortune in helicopter time alone.
Thanks.

I thought CA had Harrison Ford flying around in his helicopter looking to rescue people as a hobby. :)

Kevin

kmorgan said:
I thought CA had Harrison Ford flying around in his helicopter looking to rescue people as a hobby. :)

Kevin
FWIW - I think Harrison Ford lives in/near Jackson, WY. And yes, there was at least one situation where he assisted.