Lower dix range advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLhiker

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for helping on approaching the lower Dix Range in winter. I know the Elk Lake approach, but have heard of people going in the bouquet and up E.Dix (Carson or Grace, I'm not sure which it is).

Under current conditions, which would you recommend for a day hike with the hope of getting Hough, Macomb, Carson, and Grace?

Can you link me to a good description of the Bouquet river route?

Thanks, Ron

You can go in and out via the Boquet's north then south forks either using the slide on Grace or whacking (but I hear there's a herd trail) up to the col between Grace and Carson. If you stick to the herd path system then from Carson you have 2 RT's: one to Macomb and another to Hough. Or you park on the Elk Lake rd. from where the plough stops and hike up the freshly cleared Lillian Brook trail which gains the ridge between Hough and Carson.

Here's some discussion about the Lillian brook approach.
http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2684
http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2692

You can figure out which approach you like the looks of best.

Now hold on there pardner. Even though I speaketh the tongue I got less french canadian in me than SherpaK or Mavs00. Check how the rest of the world spelleth plough!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plough

Hey Bubba! How many liters per 100 kilometers does your car get?
How many kilograms does my 40 liter pack weigh?
Which is heavier, a kilo of lead or a kilo of 850 fill goose down?

:D

thanks for the help. It looks to me like an even trade off. I dislike hiking roads, i.e. the elk lake road from the caretaker's home. So I am leaning toward the boquet route--a new approach for me, and hence, an adventure.

From Wikipedia:

The plough (American spelling: plow) is a tool used in farming...

Hence, Neil, as a farmer, is knowledgable and speaketh the truth!!! ;)

(Ahhh, an unknown, inside scoop on SK and Mavs00)

DL,

Grab the latest ADK hiking guidebook for the High Peaks region for a description of the herd path or "Hunter's path" along the Boquet.

This path has changed a lot over the years, with various side trails developing and then disappearing, and the main trail's river crossing changing locations.

Also, this route may not be broken, so if there is heavy snow before you go, plan on the time and muscle to break trail.

The main path follows parts of the Boquet River system, and generally leads to the base of the slide on Grace. I use the Left Bank / Right Bank description based on looking downstream, as does the ADK book. The start is where Route 73 crosses the N. Fork of the Boquet. There are 3 places to park: on each side of the river, on the SW side of the road, are small parking spots with tight little driveways leading into them. These are not plowed, and may be difficult to get into. There is also a pull out on the NE side of the road, which is usually plowed. There are other pullouts some distance in eitehr direction, if none of these work.

Beginning at the parking area on the R bank (SE side of the river), the trail leads into the woods paralleling the river. A couple side trails will join the trail in a few hundred feet. At a little over 0.5 miles, the trail passes through some large boulders and then emerges onto the river, which is crossed at the large flat "bear slide" area. This area is mostly rock, but there are a couple deep water channels; be careful.

After crossing the river, the trail continues on the L bank. It crosses a tributary, and then at about 1 mile comes to a junction. The main trail bears left and crosses the river; the trail to the right leads up into the Boquet canyon.

After crossing the river, the main trail folllows along a tributary for a while, then climbs past Lillypad Pond (the pond is nearby but out of sight on the left. The trail then moves close to the L bank of the Sout Fork of the Boquet, which it follows. At 3.1 miles a large boulder is passed, which the ADk guide calls the Rock of Gibraltar, based on its shape. A little further on, the trail swings left and crosses the now very small S Fork. Continuing on the R bank, the trail moves away from the brook, and eventually reaches the bottom of the "Great Slide" on Grace. There are rough herdpaths that parallel the slide, especially in it's steeper sections (overall it's not a very steep slide).

Good luck!

TCD

Just a quick note on that first crossing which takes about 10 minutes to get to. It's very easy to miss. The main herd trail appears to continue left, up a little rise of a bout 10 feet while the "true" herd trail branches off to the right leading to the river which is very close. (There is a faint, dark red blaze on a tree on the other side of the crossing that marks the trail.) The left branch continues for a fair ways and eventually peters out after leading you to Rhododendron Pond. Between that first crossing and Rhododendron Pond there are all sorts of paths. Depending on the snow cover and the presence or absence of a broken trail I think that it might be just as easy to remain on the right (SE) side of the river and to pick up the herd trail near Lilypad Pond.

Out of curiosity after ascending Hough, how do you plan to descend off the ridge? To my knowledge there is no path that leads back to the Boquet valley other than the herdpath up Grace (E. Dix). I’m not sure how thick the bushwhack is form Hough back to the Boquet. You could also continue up Dix and take the Round Pond trail to Rte 73 and road walk back to the car, but keep in mind this loop is about 20 miles long.

I think that with the snow conditions we have right now it would be quite feasable to bushwhack the approximately 3/4 of a mile off of Hough back down to the trail on the Boquet. Note that I haven't done that bushwhack but a reliable source told me it was quite open most of the way when they did it several years ago.
Brian (Bushwhacker) bwcked Hough from the Boquet last March.

The Boquet Valley

At this time water level is high and the numerous crossing will be annoying at best, summer and winter I have been up and down Hough several times but last winter told myself it was the very last. There are numerous new tree tops littering the forest floor since the 2005 November storm addding the difficulty of that climb. If you have never visited the Boquet Valley you may find it a challenge to follow the herdpath. Once on Carson you may find Macomb a long way up!

The quick 2.2-mile along the Elk lake Road and the flagging along the Lillian Brook herpath(s) will make it a lot more fun to loop from Macomb to Carson, to Grace and back over Carson to Hough. Depending on conditions you may opt to descend via the Carson-Macomb col or via the Hough-Pough col. Both path meet at some point and follow Lillian Brook to the Elk Lake Dix trail.

BlackSpruce said:
Once on Carson you may find Macomb a long way up!
B/S: Thought you offered good observations, but didn't understand this statement. Carson to Macomb is pretty straight-forward and not all that far.

Boquet Valley hike is on my list. Is it the Hough whack (that you mention) that is now so difficult... in comparison to the Grace slide?? (A winter hike is not my target...)

Neil, good point about the Rhododendron Pond path. I forgot about that one. It's easy to know if you're on that path because it starts out steeply up an esker like ridge. But if you do make a mistaken side trip to Rhododendron Pond, it's not too bad. It's a short trip, the pond and surrounding area are beautiful, and there are numerous potential camp sites that will get you planning another visit.

The conditions in the woods change a lot. I haven't bushwhacked down from the ridge in several years, so I don't know how it is any more. I traveled down to the valley from the Hough Dix col a number of years ago, and that wasn't too bad. But downhill you can get through most anything...

TCD

bubba said:
B/S: Thought you offered good observations, but didn't understand this statement. Carson to Macomb is pretty straight-forward and not all that far.

Boquet Valley hike is on my list. Is it the Hough whack (that you mention) that is now so difficult... in comparison to the Grace slide?? (A winter hike is not my target...)

bubba, Carson to Macomb would be very formidable after navigating to Carson via the Boquet in these present conditions. Winter has a way of turning summer 2 and 3 peak trips into 0, 1s, and 2s. Right now, the Boquet approach would be tedious at best.

The Hough whack became tougher after last years toppling of beeches in that area. Hough is still pretty tough to begin with ... or was. Via the LB it can now be a very nice and pleasant solo Dix objective.

I was on the Boquet path in October and there was a lot of blowdown and leaves down and obscured a well travelled path surprisingly well. With all the ice/sleet crap at lower levels that route may yield a day in the woods with no peaks for someone who doesn't know the route that well.

I agree with BlackSpruce. The Elk Lake side would probably be a better bet with a nicer loop opportunity.

I definately agree with Balck Spruce too. Unless the Bouquet trail is WELL broken out, AND water levels are low, AND it won't get warm during the day (causing water levels to rise), you are way better off with a bit of a road walk, and taking the traditional route.

If getting the 4 peaks is your priority I agree with the experts. If having an adventure is the priority then I say toss the dice on the Boquet but be ready to get 4-x peaks on your first tme out.

Carson to Macomb

In winter, unless you had it very easy all the way to Carson I can bet that after one look at Macomb slope you will turned back, if not broken it's a tough 600 + feet .5-mile climb that usually gets a lot of snow. It's already a challenge down from Macomb to Carson without losing the path if one doesn't know the route well but much easier and great fun in deep snow. Going from Carson to Hough is short but not easy either unless you are vulturing!

At this time I wouldn't travel Grace's slide, it's an easy buswhack to the Grace-Carson col, new fallen tree tops there too but not as bad as going to the Hough-Dix col. From this col it's usually an fast trek to Grace summit but the herdpath to Carson always received much more snow.

Right now winter is back -10F this morning but there is still very little snow in the mountains making for much easier route finding.

Just don't go alone in a remote area you don't know well.

Grandma

Last edited:
Hough to make this range?

Hi PLHiker

Junior tell me: "May be this man needs to know a other view of this: Hough make to put the must chances in my small Pough"||

1- If You go alone: Choose a sunny, the day light is longer, the navigation is easier and fast, and it is easier to support the snow failling on You. You can see your fast progress and this thing give You the wings....

2- If You are able to have two cars: You have many possibility to go in and out, In the Winter, a couple of year before many peoples were using the West Mill Brook approach to in or out.

3- The Lillian Brook approach same a trail and is very easy to go with the split way, go between Macomb et Carson or between Carson and Pough.

4- We agree with the other is easier to catch Macomb from Carson too catch Carson from Macomb in a day without visibility.

5- If You take the decision to use the Bouquet River approah, use this way in the day light specialy if it is your first time by this way in snow condition without tracks....

6- Take a eary start only if You go by a trail or if You are sure the tracks You fallow go in the good direction....For this reason don't go by the Bouquet River approach after the dark (morning or evening) is You never past by this way in the Winter time, Many peoples play in this area without the summet plan it is very easy to be confuse....

7- The navigation is easy between Carson and Grace but it is not always the same between Carson and Hought, In the deep snow the progress between Hought and Dix specialy if You keep this peak for the last peak of your day.

8- The Macomb slide or the Grace slide can be very easy or impossible without a rope to up or down, in Grace slide if You are lucky You have a open forest in the north side of this slide with or without cliffs.

9- The success is between in your two ears, with this think You are in "Pough-er" :D to made the five in one day in good conditions.

Have a great time in this nice playground.

Pinpin junior. :)