MacBook & topo map advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damselfly

Reaction score
I recently purchased a MacBook Pro... and have been moving all data and files from my old PC to the newer Mac.

I am using a Garmin 60csx and have purchased new topo maps that are Mac compatible... but as everyone knows, they are not of USGS quality.

On my old computer, I have an old set of National Geographic Topo maps, which I love and utilize extensively for planning bushwhacks... but Nat. Geo no longer is making topo maps, and there are no Nat. Geo. DVD/map sets out there compatible with the newer Mac operating systems.

I know there are other Mac users out there. What are you using for USGS quality map printing, planning, etc.

thanks in advance,
Beth

I use Nat Geo on a 2011 version of a Macbook Pro. So far it is still the most useful program for my needs, even though it is no longer available. I also have MacGPSPro, which isn't very expensive, and has a lot of features, but is a little confusing to use. As a free online topo map app, caltopo.com is pretty good.

I run PC versions of National Geographic TOPO! and Garmin Mapsource on Linux using the Wine windows emulator.

Perhaps you can run your old software using an emulator that runs on your new Mac. Wine runs on Mac OS X (http://www.winehq.org/) and I believe there are other emulators. Wine is opensource and free.

Doug