MacNaughton-lets plan a group trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
We talked about this last winter, me and few friends-so lets get the ball rolling.

This peak can be a bear in winter, at least from what I've heard. I wouldn't feel like I finished the W46 without it. We will need a large group I think for the herd path, to get it broken out and lay the trail for people to follow. The blowdown on the route shouldn't be too much of an issue as the brook SHOULD be frozen to lay out a nice clean path for a good part of the distance. The herd path will be non-existant I think as it's narrow in the summer the snow will make it close in.

We could max out the group size of 15 easily on this one. It would be great to switch off breaking trail. The summit doesn't have room for that many people so I will be there first selling tickets.

I'm looking at March 2ndwith the 16th as a back up date.

We can work on some car pooling if need be. Maybe meet at the old Frontier Town parking lot.

After the hike we can gather at the Ausable Inn for a couple drinks and maybe some food.

So, who's in??

Last edited:
R u planning this for Sunday the 3rd (that's Superbowl Sunday) will make it if the Boys aren't in it :D ...17th for sure

Love this mountain...

Last edited:
I screwed up. I can't do the 3rd either. Lets do 10th with a 24th as a backup. I'll change the original post dates.

peak_bgr said:
I screwed up. I can't do the 3rd either. Lets do 10th with a 24th as a backup. I'll change the original post dates.
The 10th is the day after the big W46 set of climbs being planned on ADKHPs. This might work to your advantage, as there even might be someone going there Saturday.

But it might be that everyone is too tired to hike as well! :eek: :D

Also, 15 is a BIG group! You will go the speed of the slowest hiker. And that might not be the speed of the trailbreaker(s).

Having said all that, Laurie and I *Might* be interested.

Hi, I too need Macnaughton to complete my winter 47 and would like to join you. John Nye 1902w

I forgot about the 46 get together.

Nancy mentioned St. Patty's Day, March 17th. But that leaves no backup date before the end of winter. This wasn't suppose to be this hard.

Hi Spencer, Gail and I are interested if you would like to have us along! :) It would be nice to hike with you and Brian again. Thanks, Fred

Date Update

This is the definate date plans. March 2nd with a March 16th back up date.

Freddy, you and Gail are always welcome. Are you bringing along one or both of those cute substitutes as well?? ;) ;)

Will be there....hopefully there will be a lot of winter 46'r's by then :D

Last edited:
Here we go.

Spencer(peak_bgr)
Brian(bushwacker)
Terry(tmax)
Nancy(Highonlife)
Freddy(funkyfreddy)
Gail(aka gail)
John(nyestreet)
Tom Rankin
Laurie Rankin

I would like to join this group, not knowing for sure if I'll be available that day! I too would like to get my 47th winter peak!

Mike1889 I remember doing Allen in winter w/ you and your daughter several years ago. Your #1889 rung the bell, you finished the summer round a week or so before me. John

I am very interested.

Spencer, if the group size gets unwieldy what do you think about splitting it into two and each (radio-equipped) group take a different route. (Is there another feasable route in winter?)

Neil said:
I am very interested.

Spencer, if the group size gets unwieldy what do you think about splitting it into two and each (radio-equipped) group take a different route. (Is there another feasable route in winter?)

Route 1-We may need to do that Neil. There's always the option of a climb via Wallface Ponds. The trail to Scott Clearing should be broken but from there it may need to be. The plus there is, the ponds will be frozen.

Route 2-There is also a route brian and I did up a drainage near Wallface Lean-to. It's a straight forward approach, the route goes over south MacNaughton, a near 3800 foot peak in itself. Maybe even one of the 770 peaks.

If we do route two we could all park at Upper Works and each team can do the opposite route on the way down and make a loop out if it. If we do Route 1 we may have to plan a key swap or something, and that would require the first group to summit to wait out the second group.

nyestreet said:
Mike1889 I remember doing Allen in winter w/ you and your daughter several years ago. Your #1889 rung the bell, you finished the summer round a week or so before me. John

John,

My lone winter climb of Allen was 3/3/01 with Glens Falls ADK. Were you on that hike? I don't remember meeting you, but it was a large group. My daughter definitely wasn't with me - she hasn't climbed Allen in any season.

Mike

Hey hey, my first VFTT outing in a long time :) I'm definitely interested.

Neil, we could share the drive.

Any option (one big group, 2 groups, march 2nd, march 16th) suits me.

Meo said:
Neil, we could share the drive.
Hey! Great idea. I'll supply the vehicle and you supply the gas!
:D
Spence, was your original idea to approach from Upper Works or the Loj? I checked a map and see 3 feasible routes. Wallface Ponds, Preston Ponds/Hunter Pond and from near the shelter on IP brook trail a couple miles North of Henderson Lake. Wallface Ponds from the Loj looks like the longest approach (6miles versus 3 from UW) but a slightly shorter bushwhack.