MacNaughton?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenG

Reaction score
Hey,

Is anyone interested in doing Big Mac this Saturday, Sept. 2? This will be my third trip up. The first two attempts were from Indian Pass so I'll be travelling via Preston Ponds this time. I'll be staying at camp Friday night & heading out at day break on Saturday from the UW's trailhead. Let me know!

Has anyone ever made it via Indian Pass? Twice I got within a quarter of a mile of Mac, looking at it over a 10 foot thick field of blowdown & 10 inches of early September snow. Ran out of time & had to head back to a warm camp & a bottle of Shiraz. A hard decision to make, warm camp vs. night in the cold woods. Warm camp....cold woods...Hmmmm?

Ken :cool:

Reactions: arm
Wish I could join you but I live 330 miles away and I'm planning on hiking part of the AT in Maine this weekend. I bet MacNaughton is one of the least-hiked peaks for its size in the ADKs. I still need it for my 111, along with 14 other High Peaks and Slide down in the Catskills. Good Luck! I hear the Preston Ponds route is the more popular herd path.

McNasty isn't a required NE111 summit.

The NE111 club's eligibility specify the peaks required for the ADK46 + Slide and Hunter in the Catskills. The 46ers don't require Mac for membership in the 46, so while its a great summit and a challenge to attain, not a requirement.

There are several routes from Indian Pass, and both of them are rather thick. You do get the feeling that you've earned that peak, though. I've done it via three routes, but never from the Preston Pond area.

My knees won't let me go with you.

Yeah, I know what you mean; I smile & shake my head every time I hear or read the name MacNaughton. Must be my Scottish ancestry! ;)

Been on the summit twice. No issues either time. Once from Wallface Lean-to, once from Preston Ponds. You should have little to no trouble getting to the summit saturday.

Once the herd path ends into the blowdown, hike in the brook when you can. The brook comes to an end, as if it disappears into the side of the mountain. There you should see a really old ribbon-rotten, falling apart. A herd path continues there to the summit ridge. Don't go to fast, it can be lost rather easily-being narrow and lightly used.

The start of the route from the Duck Hole Trail is marked by a small pile of relic metal left behind by loggers. Easy to find, easy to follow-have fun. Oh, and wear long pants.

Thanx Spence, as much as I hate wearing long pants hiking, I think you're right! :(

Mac from Indian Pass

I've done it twice from that direction- once form the Wallface Ponds and once from the Pass, from behind the Wallface Leanto and up the Wallface Ponds drainage. It is not thick at all from these directions, but it is thick from the way you are planning to go.

I have a trip report on the Summitpost site on my winter ascent- check it out