Macnaughton

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillman1

Reaction score
I met and went hiking with Neil, who kindly responded to my post on trying to find someone to do this hike with--noone was really willing to try this one. So we met up at the loj, and set off for indian pass. The trail to the lean-to is in great shape, with a few water crossings, but fast and mostly level--not alot of foot traffic through that area. Then we hit the lean-to where the 1st breached dam is. The water was quite high, and moving fast. We probably should have rethought that crossing, but we did it. On the way out, we went into the woods for this spot, and crossed above the dam in the slack water--if you try this one--do that. From there to the mountain, it was walking in a stream. If we weren't in a stream, we were in a pond or marsh. We were postholing at points, well really deep. Oh, the mud has a unique odiferous quality to it--kind of like your gaseous eruptions after a night of wings and draft beer...But we pushed on. We made it to the end of the blue trail, and across the pond was the mountain. Quite unremarkable. But I have to say, my first impression was about to be crushed by the mountain gods. At this point, we should have looked at a map. Instead, we just started the walk around the lake. When we got to the base area(which was really cool--lots of moss)we stumbled around trying to find the mountain for quite awhile. I know, your like, how do you not find a mountain? It happens. We then decided to start using a map and compass, with the help of my gps, which wasn't working quite right(thick cover). Anyway, this was a steep bushwack, no herd path. Not for someone who gets freaked out if you don't really know where you are. So we get up the mountain, and there is a path along the ridgeline, and it takes you north to the summit sign. We had given up on the sign, but it was there(and misspelled as reported)--we bushwacked back down the way we came, and made it out in about 11 hours. I loved this hike. It was my 1st true bushwack, in the sense that there is NO trail. We checked the trail register on the way out near heart lake, we were the only people that did that hike since april.The register only went back that far, so it could be longer. I had a great day with a new hiker friend, and vftt delivers the greatest people to hike with.

Last edited:
Were you able to record any coordinates?

We're planning to do Macnaughton in September - were you able to record any GPS coordinates or waypoints and would you share them?

KZ

I have the summit waypoint from my nat'l geographic topo software. It has the other summit as the top, rather than where the sign is. I plotted one for the bottom of the mountain, but it was a kind of useless waypoint. It's a great hike, I think everyone would enjoy it. It's wet the whole way, I doubt the trail ever gets dry. People talk about the sewards and santanonis being wet...those trails are like the sahara desert compared to the wallface pond area. The ranger on staff at the loj didn't think we would make the summit due to the water. If it rains like we just experienced, be extra careful at the stream crossings. They are kayakable at this point. Class 5+, but doable. I would be willing to make a first descent from the ponds to the outlet if someone would come along. I would walk my boat up there. The streams all join to be the river that you cross for street and nye. That crossing must have been impossible yesterday. And Neil, sorry for the misspelled name...

We're actually discussing a through hike starting at Upper Works and ending at the Loj. Any advice on which direction??? After reading your report and Bruce's I'm leaning towards starting at Upper Works.

Maybe we could portage in and paddle out?:D

KZ

Alpine summit just did it from upper works and has a great trail report of his trip. I don't know how the trail is from that end, but a report in the lean to register said that a guy had to carry his yellow lab on his shoulders to get through there. It's an easy dayhike from the loj. It's probably nice from the other side too. The only problem with the area(wallface ponds) was a few illegal campsites, with fire rings and garbage. I don't understand why you would hike a giant pot up there, and then leave it in your fire ring.

Doug, it sounded like a great time(in a sick sort of way:) ). Glad to see you're still up to some challenges. I met Neil over in the santanoni's last April. It's a small vfft world.

I'm definitely keen and interested. How 'bout leaving from the Loj and finishing at UW or vice versa?
On another note I'm also interested in bushwhacking Lost Pond. Does anybody have info on this? I only know about it from looking at the map. (for all I know ther's a herd trail) It could be reached by a steep climb due west starting from a tenth of a mi. or so before (ie. NE of) the lean-to on the way to Scott Pond. Then the way down could head south to the blue trail. Another way, a little longer, well maybe more than a little, would be to go from Street (of Street and Nye fame.) and follow a ridgeline to the pond. If I can look at a map and think this up then I'm sure someone's already done it. Any takers?

Bruce,

Tentative yes on 10/2 to Mac. Depends on business and family schedules which I'll have a better idea of a couple of weeks prior.
One thing about the stream bushwack. The water is liable to be REALLY cold and possibly icy that time of year.

PB

Waste deep, freezing cold, rapidly flowing water. Nice if you go for that sort of thing.
With a little luck it'll be a fair bit lower than saturday's level.

I've done the bushwack to Lost Pond from Roaring Brook then down to Scott Ponds. It was mid October, walking in the brook wasn't bad at all, but the descent to Scott ponds was thick, nasty and evergreen.

One of my favorite routes- We started at Upper works and came back through Indian Pass.

Any views? The Pond looks like it's rimmed by a semi-circular ridge. Did you go onto it?

View of Street's (false?) summit and the pond itself of course. The final climb up Roaring Brook had some views to the west and the waterfalls and cascades were very nice.

We didn't go up the ridge, I thought the surrounding area of the pond was very thick and it killed any thought of camping there, we headed down to Scott Ponds hoping to get there before dark.

I don't know if I'm free oct. 2nd yet, but if you guys go in for Macnaughton again, I'd like to tag along. We didn't have many views that day.

October 2 sounds good to me - I'll see if Fred and Garen can make it as well.

KZ

I hiked MacNaughton on Thursday, August 5, along with my one-year old Dachsund. She did great...forging ahead then standing looking back at me, not even panting, as if to say, "Hurry up, slowpoke!" As expected, I had to carry her a few times, but she's only ten pounds. It was an absolutely great weather day. We came up through Indian Pass from UW then returned via a bushwhack to the return trail off MacNaughton's southern point. This took quite a while what with the blowdown and cliffs, but it was great. Only fell once while traversing the brook! However, I'll return next summer...I believed my National Geographic TOPO location of the summit; which as you said is the south, not the north and marked summit. Oh well, I wanted to come in from the Loj and check out that trail anyhow!!

Is it on???

Hey is the 10/2 Macnaughton expedition still on????

I'm still interested.

KZ

new thread

KZ, I'l start a new thread in "Trips & Events", since this report has evolved into that category.