MacNaughton

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckrueger

Reaction score
Planning on a trip to MacNaughton the later part of September. :D Was planning on going in from Upper Works as opposed to the LOJ. Any tips, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck Krueger

I attempted it last summer from Upper Works via the Preston Ponds Trail. The herd path wasn't too hard to follow, but there was significant blowdown in quite a few spots. We had to turn back due to an injury as a result of the blowdown.

The Loj approach is longer but on trail all but the last .8 miles. The summit is right in front of you, bear slightly to the right as you go up.

The Upper Works route still has 3 choices, SW, S, or SE. I did the S route last winter, following a broken trail (thanks to Mirabela!). This was a long whack, going up and down several times over PUDs. The other 2 routes are described in various places and are shorter off trail but very steep.

In any case, have fun!

I agree with Mr. Rankin (I think)--it's probably easier going in from the Loj because the bushwhack section is much shorter. Sort of foolproof too as long as you keep going up.

You might not find this response helpful, and if so I apologize, but --

If you have any fondness for snowshoeing, I can't think of a better peak to wait until late winter for. MacNaughton is covered with shwack and blowdown, but a good supportive Feb-March snowpack does wonders to float you over the worst of it. It makes a really nice winter trip. I went last March, and I can remember thinking in one spot after another, "man, this would be a nightmare in summer." We went up the bumpy south ridge from the end of Henderson Lake, and descended to Preston Ponds. It makes a nice loop with varied scenery, of a reasonable day-trip length (10 miles or so??).

It just doesn't look like much fun wading at ground level through all the junk up there.

You might not find this response helpful, and if so I apologize, but --

If you have any fondness for snowshoeing, I can't think of a better peak to wait until late winter for. MacNaughton is covered with shwack and blowdown, but a good supportive Feb-March snowpack does wonders to float you over the worst of it. It makes a really nice winter trip. I went last March, and I can remember thinking in one spot after another, "man, this would be a nightmare in summer." We went up the bumpy south ridge from the end of Henderson Lake, and descended to Preston Ponds. It makes a nice loop with varied scenery, of a reasonable day-trip length (10 miles or so??).

It just doesn't look like much fun wading at ground level through all the junk up there.
That being the case, I agree with myself even more! :D

The North approach is not like what you describe at all. There is some blowdown for sure, but is is mostly easily avoided.

Just remember that the summit is all the way at the West end of the ridge.

Thanks for all the responses to date. Are the leanto's still there that are shown on the map ,coming in from the LOJ? We are thinking of making this a nice weekend and to an overnight in the process

Mirabela has a great point. Winter is a great opion and you can take the drainage from near Wallface Lean-to and go over South MacNaughton. It's a nearly open bushwhack up to a iller view from South MacNaughton

Nowadays the section of trail from the first Scott Pond (dam) to the first of the Wallface Ponds is extremly muddy and wet, the beavers have been very active in that area the last few years. A few years ago we found that the going was much easier heading for the middle of McNaughton ridge than going in a more direct line to the summit from the Wallface Ponds. Upon leaving the summit while following a noticeable but very tight path we soon noticed an herdpath heading towards the pond and decided to try the more direct route but we quickly climbed back-up to the ridge as the blowdown was horrendous. I never made it to the summit from the South side but remember a at first very open forest followed by horrendous blowdown which pushes you to the stream where the going wasn't much more fun. The weather did turned on us and we had to give up (rain and snow instead of the promise susnhine). I have been told that where the drainaage ends, one can to the left find a faint herdapth (with flagging) that stays below the ridge all the way to the summit. It seems though that not everyone is able to find the "golden route" and instead suffers greatly all the way to the summit.

Last edited: