Madison Hut Renovations / Rebuild

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen this mentioned before, but don't believe I've seen the link or blog post before.

hutsblog.outdoors.org said:
Today marks the end of an era. Madison Spring Hut as we've
known it for decades closed it's doors for the season and when it opens next spring, it will be a newly remodeled hut. Starting today, the AMC will be renovating Madison and over the next 9 months, the hut will be almost completely disassembled (keeping the current stone bunkhouse) and rebuilt with waterless toilets, an expanded dining room, rearranged bunk rooms, a new kitchen and crew room and will have upgraded energy systems.

http://hutsblog.outdoors.org/2010/06/spirit-of-madison.html

Tim

Oh. I passed by on the Airline on Sunday, the hut seemed open (doors and windows unshuttered, people going in and out). I owe an apology to three hikers (Andre, Olga(?), and Anonymous) who were freezing on the summit of Adams and hoping for hot soup at the hut - I told them they'd be on time for dinner (or at least leftovers). I also saw a group of at least ten heading north on Gulfside with heavy packs - wonder where they wound up spending the night. (edit: never mind, hut was still open on the 5th.)

Last edited:
I was planning to stop by on Saturday, will there still be water available there?

I noticed that article was from June so I called the AMC. The renovations began yesterday and I was told to not plan on any access/water there. Crews may be working and the water may not have been turned off, but she said not to bet on having access/water.

Jun 30, 2010
The Spirit of Madison

Edit: It would be a good idea to state the closure more firmly, maybe in a sticky post: "Madison Hut Closed".

Last edited:
The article may be marked Jun 30, but it begins with "Today marks the end of an era" so I assumed they posted it with the wrong date - it came via a Facebook post this morning.

Tim

I saw the article in the AMC Outdoors mag last month. It didn't sound as intesnse a renovation project as it does in this blog. Could be they decided to do more than originally planned since this past June and are just letting everyone know...again.

I've stayed in about 2/3's of the huts & Madison was by far my favorite. Nearly as high as LOC, Great Presidential views, less bunks than LOC.

I guess it's more comfortable for me to hang with 48 hikers than 90 in a relatively small above treeline area. The triple bunks had some head room when you were laying down. Any word on how many the hut will sleep when they re-open?

New toilets, better energy options are a good thing.

Sounds like we might lose the "courtyard" on the Madison side of the hut... where it was so convenient and out of the wind to gear up for the final ascent in winter. I didn't read any firm plans on what the new capacity will be.

Tim

Any word on how many the hut will sleep when they re-open?

Mike, I stayed there last week and they said there would be room for 52, same as now.

They also want to get the hut off the spring, given the huge ice bulge they have to deal with at the start of the season.

They were putting the thru-hikers to work with sledge hammers, crushing the boulders out back and repositioning them around the new pilings that are already in place.

Pictures below were taken on 8-30-10 while the hut was still in operation. One of the crew said the hut will be closing in a couple weeks. While the hut is open, the plans for the new hut can be viewed on the wall in the back corner of the dining room.

Thanks, closed now, what kind of major rebuild are we talking about...

They must be woring hard on this construction project, afterall, how many good days to they have? Most of Sept, 2/3 of October,a few days in November & then nothing until??????

Yesterday (11-Sep), I attended an event at Camp Dodge. All during this event the helicopter involved in the destruction/construction of the new Hut was busy ferrying materials to/from the construction site on Mt. Madison. The chopper made flights right up until the "twilight's last gleaming".

Below is a snapshot of the chopper's last run of the day as it was coming in over the mountaintops.

P1070178.JPG

Some Pics from work at the hut yesterday

Working and goofing off while waiting for the next drop off
Adams001.jpg

The old date still on the foundation

Adams004.jpg

A view from above
Adams008.jpg