MAGIC II -The Catskills gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MichaelJ said:
Looks good to me - I penciled in the weekend (okay, okay, I entered it into iCal!) I do want my NE115 Catskill peaks, that'll be my plan!
:)

(costume? oy...)

I've penciled this in too and if I go I will do Hunter with you as I need that one. Black Dome anyone for the P2k? Where eactly is this campground?

From the NYS Thruway (aka I-87) you would take exit 19 (kingston) to get to Rt 28 West. Take that for a bit, something like almost 18 miles to get to Rt 28A which goes around the Ashoken Reservoir. Note that this would be the second Rt 28A left turn as Rt 28A connects to Rt 28 at two points and it would be a lot faster to go past the Ashoken and then double back rather than take the long and windy Rt 28A around the reservoir. Anyway, once you hit Boiceville and coming down a long descent, Rt 28A will come up fast on your left before the downtown area. Take this left turn and go for a bunch of miles til you see Snyder's Tavern on your right (old house that is now an old bar). Then after you see the tavern, slow down as you'll want to make the next right onto CR42 at a wooden sign that says "sundown" at the very bottom and says Olive town offices or something like that. If you see the American General store, you've passed CR42... There is no sign indicating CR42 intersection but you look down every right turn, you will see a blue CR42 on the road.

Then you'll have to go for another 5 or 6 miles or so until you see a bridge with Merrill field on your right. After this bridge, you will see a bunch of dirt parking lots in a row, this is Sundown, again on your right hand side. The campsites are generally not far from the road so you may see tents and pines and perhaps the portopottys there. We'll be probably all gathered on the sites a few parking spots down from Merrill field, where there is a kiosk there. Camping is free and first come, first serve.

If you google maps the town of Olive, NY, you will see Rt 28, Rt28A and CR42 which is shown as Peekamoose Road. The campsite is closer to what it says "sundown" there but not entirely that far. There isn't going to be any cell reception at the campground and probably spotty reception anywhere in the catskills from Kingston.

Jay

skiguy said:
I've penciled this in too and if I go I will do Hunter with you as I need that one.

Sounds good! I'm hitting both Hunter and Slide that weekend so ping me as the time draws nearer to coordinate.

SkiGuy, if you want to hit Blackhead/Black dome, you might as well do this on your way home because they are in the northern Catskills.. Sundown is way south... From BD/BH, you can just go a bit north and hit I-90 east..

And if you do BD, you might as well go to Black Head too as it's nearby and also a nice peak... I presume the P2k is some kind of prominence list???

Jay

Jay H said:
SkiGuy, if you want to hit Blackhead/Black dome, you might as well do this on your way home because they are in the northern Catskills.. Sundown is way south... From BD/BH, you can just go a bit north and hit I-90 east..

And if you do BD, you might as well go to Black Head too as it's nearby and also a nice peak... I presume the P2k is some kind of prominence list???

Jay

That's a roger Jay on the P2k..or The Fifty Finest..ask Wu he know's. Yes I was thinking about Blackdome for the way down from NH or back. Would love to do This Hike that Guinness and yourself did a while back if anyone out there wants to hook up for a car spot. Also looking at hitting Manadnock and or Greylock on the way down or back. I'm pretty much a greenhorn when it comes to the Catskills other than climbing Slide a couple of times. Will probably stick to the more usual hikes with trails but would like to camp with you folks for a night or two.

Yup Wayne, that is a good way to do the two or three without a car spot... Thomas Cole could be done by going over Black Dome as an out and back...

I actually did those three with Dr Wu one winter weekend, we were planning on going over to Windham too but time restrictions made us turn back towards barnum road where we parked for Thomas Cole..

Jay

Skiguy, another option to consider for the Blackhead range, without a car drop, is a bike drop. It is an ideal route for you to drive to the end of Big Hollow Road and stash a bike. Return to trailhead on Barnum Road and complete the through hike and bike your way back down Big Hollow Road. It is all down hill. Actually, it's downhill till Barnum Road, so if you are taking that option, you might want to look to park further down Barnum and hike it while fresh.

I'd be interested in either Hunter, Slide or Peekamoose/Table on Saturday. I'm tentatively planning on Sunday heading over to the Gunks and do a trail run at the base of the climbing walls in the preserve.